Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to Axolotls, seeking support/advice from UK members

Pumpkin Pie

Reaction score
Hey there,
I've been thinking of getting an Axolotl for some months after I tried (and failed) to mend a poorly Fire Bellied Newt which a pet shop owner had kept with toads :( I've just been worried about looking after an Axolotl properly because you tend to blame yourself when and animal in your care dies.

I think I may finally be ready to get one though, as I'm based in the North East of England (Newcastle) I thought maybe some of the UK members could recommend a good pet shop or breeder/ keeper of Axolotls from my general area.

I'm also open to any forms of advice that you have to offer, I want my Axolotl to be as happy and well kept as possible. I currently have a tank for it which is 24" long by 12" wide by 12" deep, I'm pretty sure this should be big enough as I only want the one (at last for now).

Anyhow, this message is getting rather long so I'll let you have a chance to comment before I write any more.
Kind Regards,
Steve.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Steve and welcome to the forum!

I think I may finally be ready to get one though, as I'm based in the North East of England (Newcastle) I thought maybe some of the UK members could recommend a good pet shop or breeder/ keeper of Axolotls from my general area.

You might try the UK advertisements section of the forum, it has both 'For Sale' and 'Wanted' Listings: http://www.caudata.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49

I'm also open to any forms of advice that you have to offer, I want my Axolotl to be as happy and well kept as possible. I currently have a tank for it which is 24" long by 12" wide by 12" deep, I'm pretty sure this should be big enough as I only want the one (at last for now).

That's a nice size tank for one adult axolotl. If you are considering more axolotls in the future, you will need a bigger tank. Axolotls require a lot of floor space, it's recommended to provide at least 18 inchs length of tank per axolotl.

This website will tell you everything you need to know about the care of axolotls:
http://www.axolotl.org/

For in depth details on Cycling the aquarium, Acceptable food for axies, and equipment such as suitable filters and um just about everything else ;):

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles.shtml

The just about 'everything else' can also be discovered by using the search function of the forum. If after using the search you can find no answer to your query, please feel free to post to the forum or join us in the chat where someone may be able to answer you straight away :happy:.

Good luck! Cheers Jacq.

Pumpkin Pie

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, I didn't realise how many "I'm new" threads there were until after I had made mine, no wonder no-one was replying. I'll remember to be more original next time.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Steve.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Hi Steve, welcome to the site. Its always good to see another new member especially one from the U.K. like myself.
Hope you find this site as helpful as I do and don't be afraid to ask questions, even if you think they are silly.
Speak to you soon hopefully..Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!