Risk of Disease Transmission

meganlangreck

Reaction score
Country
United States
My son "won" some goldfish from a local fair today. While setting up the poor little guys I accidentally got a drop - literally, ONE DROP of water from their new bowl into a tank of newts. How susceptible to fish diseases are newts, generally speaking?

There are quite a few diseases that can be passed from fish to amphibians and vice versa. While it would be possible for your newts to be infected with a parasite or microbial agent from the goldfish water, it is incredibly unlikely.

I'm really against the goldfish (and iguanas, turtles, etc.) that are given away as prizes at local fairs. Just for your information, this website has some information on proper goldfish care. It tends to be a lot more involved than many people would imagine!

Thankyou for the article above. I am reading it this moment. I also am not a fan of the goldfish massacres that take place at fairs. I was not present at the fair where my son "won" these goldfish. They are in bad shape, as can be expected, but I at least have to try to give them decent care for the time they have left. I saw a few white spots on them ... ich most likely? If anyone can quickly tell me about ich in newts I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

the ich cant transfer to your newts (see, its not always bad news:D) as it is a fish problem, many of the things that could transfer between species are rarer, although if caught can be more of an issue.

many of these problems may be in your tank or water already (or even brought in on you) but cause no problem if everything is kept healthy.

hope our goldfish live very long and happy lives :wink:

Thankyou all for the good advice and the kind wishes for our goldfish. I have enough info now to not panic, and I now know what to do if my newts do become sick.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back