Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: is this fungus?

vampire

Reaction score
hey guys, first post, sadly it't in the sick forum... only got my axy 2 days ago, tanks has been cycling for at least a week all levels as they should be.

I only just noticed today his tail is looking a bit mangey.

not sure if it was like that before i bought him or not.

f_P7290018m_be330ea.jpg

close up

f_tailm_d0c4b95.jpg

anyways

what are yout thoughts?
what should i do ?

cheers
vamps

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
With regards to his tail I would keep a really close eye on it, it looks like it may be from a bite ( tank mates?). Fungus tends to look a little like cotton wool. If it changes let us know.

From what I can see your tank looks good ,but it is highly unlikely that it has cycled. This article will help. You will need to do daily 20% water changes with dechlorinated water till the tank has cycled.
www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

Do ask any further questions and keep us posted.:D

p.s Please make use of capital letters!

Last edited:

vampire

Reaction score

He was in a tank with 2 other axolotls but now he is home alone.

I guess he may have had it already when I bought him but I'm only just noticing.

will keep you posted. Thanks.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Vampire I see this now and then with my axolotls. Its usually on my leucistic axolotl as she is the lesser dominant in the tank.
The tail will show a bitemark and over the course of a week some skin from the area will die back and slough away until the wound seals itself and then starts to grow back.
Don't be surprised if the regrowth looks different to the rest of the tail and like bellabelloo says keep an eye on it.

vampire

Reaction score
Actually the plot thickens,

I have made sure all my levels are fine so thats not an issue. but today i notice he has been sticking to the surface...alot.

I heard that's not a good sign, he hasn't eaten in 2 days either. his feathers are shrinking too.

Did I just happen to buy an already sick axy? I'm not sure what I could have done to cause this, as I said temp ect nit / amonia ... all fine.

Cheers
V

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually the plot thickens,

I have made sure all my levels are fine so thats not an issue. but today i notice he has been sticking to the surface...alot.

I heard that's not a good sign, he hasn't eaten in 2 days either. his feathers are shrinking too.

Did I just happen to buy an already sick axy? I'm not sure what I could have done to cause this, as I said temp ect nit / amonia ... all fine.

Cheers
V

Hi V,

What sort of test kit are you using? If you are using the test strips your readings may be lying to you - these test kits are notorious for being woefully inaccurate. Test tube kits are the most reliable.

Floating can be caused by water quality issues, impaction, gas, stress, pooping and sometimes the axie will float just for the hell of it.

Stress can be caused by water movement, is there any current going through the water that may be stressing the axie?

Shrinking gills are usually caused by a lot of oxygen being in the water. Do you have an airstone running as well as the filter?

Was the axie on gravel at the pet store? If so he may have impaction.

That sand looks great but what type of sand is it?

What are you feeding the axies?

Cheers Jacq.

vampire

Reaction score
Thanks Jacq, using test tube kits, noticed my amonia is at about 1.0 for the first time ever so just did a good clean out and 20% change.

Re current, I did put a bubble blower in the tank (I have been told by a lot of people they actually like the bubbles.. might turn it off to see)

Silver sand substrate

So far just being fed beef heart.

I will turn off the bubles and see how I go.

ta

gr33neyes

Reaction score
An airstone/bubbler should be fine. A lot of people use these and it doesnt always cause the gills to shrink back. There is an axolotl in the main gallery with the biggest gills I have seen and it was kept in a tank with an airstone.
Your silver sand substrate is also known as silica sand, I can't see any real problem with using it.

Ok beef heart alone is not an ideal diet for an axolotl. You need to give it some variety. If you can get hold of some live food thats great.
Earthworms, slugs, snails(remove shell), bloodworm (frozen or live).
You can also feed small chunks of prawn, liver and fish.
Some people even use feeder fish. These are fish kept and bred solely for the purpose of becoming live food. Usual fish kept for this are guppies, platies, white cloud minnows.
The fish will fare best kept in a separate tank, then once the babies are big enough to be axolotl food they get thrown in the tank.
Source what you can and good luck.

vampire

Reaction score
Update, Day 3 1/2.

Just completed a water test, everything is fine , no3 / no2 amonia ph etc...
Temp is 16 degrees celcius
Bubbler is off
Still swimming aroudn the top of the tank and won't eat :(
I have a bad feeling

vampire

Reaction score
Is it as simple at it sounds? Just put him in a dish of water in the fridge ?

Cheers V

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it as simple at it sounds? Just put him in a dish of water in the fridge ?

Cheers V

Prepare a container of fresh dechlorinated water that allows the axie to stretch to his full length, put just enough water to cover the axolotl's back and ensure he can touch the ground and cannot float - this will alleviate his stress if he is just stressed.

Set fridge for at least 5 degrees celcius, no lower than this.

The water will need to be changed 100% each day as he will release a lot of ammonia in a confined space. Keep bottles of dechlorinated water in the fridge, these will be used for the water changes so the axie does not suffer from changed temperature shocks.

Keep the container covered so the light of the fridge coming on and off does not disturb the axie.

You can leave the axie in the fridge for a few days as Karrie has advised.

Something just may have freaked him out, the fridge will calm and relax him - a vacation! ;)

When you purchased him from the pet store, did they keep him on gravel? He may have impaction and if he does the fridge will help clear it.

While in the fridge, his metabolism will be slowed right down and he may not wish to eat - this is perfectly normal.

vampire

Reaction score
Thankyou, i have done as suggested.

One other thing I just thought of, is there such a thing as too cold for these guys?

My wife suggested putting a heater in the tank set to approx 15 degrees. That way during the cold nights its not such a huge up and down temperature for him. My tank reads at 16 degrees atm but when I put my hand in there I think its way lower than that. So...in summation.. Is there such a thing as too cold?

little high

Reaction score
I was freaking out about my axies being to cold aswell, but am asured that 5 degree in the fridge is a vacation for them. Which mine are both in the fridge at the moment as I am having similar problems with my 2 I bought recently. Don't fret about the cold they really do love it mine seem much more relaxed in the fridge. Gills can tend to shrink a little whilst in fridge aswell so I have found out. There eating slows but so does there weight lose, but an axie can go without food for up to 3 months if they want.
Hope this helps :wacko:
cheers Nat

vampire

Reaction score
Thanks again all,

Took him out of the fridge to change water today and he seems a little more active.
I did notice a lot of smaller gravel pieces in my tank, not sure where they came from, need to double check sand I put in, either that or they came from his belly. I have removed these and will continue to keep him in the fridge for the next few days and see what happens.

Again, thankyou all for your advice.

vampire

Reaction score
OK update :(

Been 4 days in the fridge with no eating, as expected.

No new gravel however I did find quite allot in the tank. (clearly he had passed some).

That's all been cleaned, he seems a little more active in the tank now, still swimming around etc.

I am a little more concerned about his tail now as it seems to be getting worse. He is by himself so no other fish or axolotls. I have attached updated pics, as you can see this is a lot bigger than the last shot.

f_sidem_a826a4f.jpg

and top shot

f_tailm_a9ba866.jpg

hope the size isn't too big, but seems only way to see detail.

cheers
V

ellenant

Reaction score
Well, I have to admit that I am new to amphibians and learning myself...
but I had fish before.
What I can see on your latest pictures does not look like
fungus to me, that looks more like a necrotising bacterial
infection!
Other members mentioned that your feeding might
lack esseantial thinks...
yes, I would strongly recommend to go off the beef heart feeding.
The infection could be connected with a deficiancy in Vitamin A,
certain amino acids or fatty acids.
Axolotl pellets, fresh life earthworms and similar would sure
help improving the immune system.
And even sick axolotl still like their life and wiggling earth worm...
:lick:
Give it a try!

How is the animal today?
I wish you all the best!
:wink:

vampire

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Still won't eat anything. Will try get an earthworm or two tomorrow and see how that goes, he is still flating around the top of the tank, but he is quite active.

vampire

Reaction score
still no luck, floating at the top, won't eat, not even an earthworm. I'm sad to say but it's not lookign good. I will call petshop tomorrow and see if they have had any issues wth their other axolotls.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
I think if it were my axolotl I would pop him back into the fridge. Just enough water in the container to cover his back and this stops the floating.
He can stay in there for a couple of weeks if he makes it and starts to improve. I hope he gets better for you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1