plecostomus?

LeanneT

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hello

I currently have 3 axies which i think are quite happy in their tank right now. But my partners bday is coming up and I know he wants to get a plecostomus some time. The problem is that we only have room for the one tank that I have the axies in. Do you know if its safe to house them together? Do you think the axies may eat it?

Thanks!

Assuming it's a common pleco, it'll get way to big and need ridiculous amounts of space. Additionally, all plecos need tropical temps and are extremely messy. Sorry axolotls need tepmerate temps right? Really not a good idea.

Hi Leanne,

I agree with Bobberly, it's really not a good idea.

Axolotls need cool water temperatures, optimum temps are 14-20 degrees celcius. I don't keep tropical fish but believe they need temperatures near 30 degrees celcius in which to live?

The only fish that should be kept with axies are appropriate feeder fish that can survive in the water temperatures favoured by axolotls and cause no harm to the axolotls while waiting to be consumed. :eek:

Most fish are attracted to and will nip at the axolotl's feathery gills.

Fish that have spines can also damage the axolotl when the axie trys to eat it - and the axie WILL snap at and try to eat anything that passes by that is small enough to fit in its mouth. And if the fish is bigger than the axie a confrontation between them could damage both parties.

The mixing disasters page:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

Cheers Jacq.

I agree with bobberly1 and Jacq. Not a good idea .

The pleco is probably one of the worst fish you could add to your tank with axolotls in it.

These fish have a rather nasty weapon built in. Either side of their gills built into the fins are spines.
When they feel threatened or are attacked they will flick out these gills in order that whatever is attacking them will be stabbed by the spines and will release them.
An axolotl will try to swallow a fish whole, so if it tries to swallow a pleco there is a good chance the pleco will become lodged in the axolotls mouth/throat as the spines are flicked out.

The axolotl will suffer greatly and if it can't spit the fish back out then manual removal is needed. This can cause even more damage to the axolotls soft mouth and throat tissues.
Of course the pleco may also be damaged and you may lose both animals.........I strongly advise against adding this type of fish to your tank.

ok thanks heaps guys, just might wait untill we have enough room for a second tank. sounds like it could be disaterous!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back