Illness/Sickness: C-FBN Foot Missing - Not Eating

Newt Owner 71

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Linda
Hi there, just to start off I am new to the boards, i've sat and read the last 20 something pages to find help, but i'm not seeing it, so i'm posting this.

I just bought 2 Chinese FBN's yesterday. They are really small, I think they are juvenile's. They are only about 2in long. When I brought them home I realized the one small one doesn't have a front right foot. Not sure if he ever had it. The pet store had just received the shipment so i'm not sure. Anyway, my question is, do I need to care for it any different? Will it be okay? Both newts are staying in the water only, hiding in the caves and plants, i've put in worms, they won't touch them, went back to another pet store today, they said to put pellets in, but as I read on this that probably isn't a good idea.

I know the sheets and many forums here say it could be stress and they will eat when needed. Do I continue to try with worms and use a tweezer? Are they just stressed being in a new environment or can they just be sick? They are not moving much at all, and as a matter of fact, one was on the glass all night never moved, this morning I went to see if it was alive, it fell off the glass into the water, which was literally not even a cm of a fall and it didn't move or anything. I thought it passed away, so i picked it up. Still didn't move, was about 20 sec's and all of a sudden it moved a little bit so I put it back in the water. I'm not sure if i'm stressing them even more, but they are literally just freezing up and not moving like "playing" dead.

I'm rambling, and i'm sorry, i'm just getting nervous i i just don't want anything to happen to them. I did months of research before buying these so i would be prepared, but now i feel like i'm completely un-prepared.

Thanks for your help.

Linda

Linda,

I recently got a C-FBN from a pet store too, and like yours, mine wouldn't eat for a few days. Mine decided to stay motionless on land, under a rock. However, after a few days I found that if I put small pieces of dug earthworm near it, it would eat later when I wasn't looking. Now it will eat right after I put the worm piece in front of it. It really helps if the pieces are quite small and squirmy. :)

Leave them alone, leave the lights off, and let them adjust for a day or two. I felt a lot better when I found out they can go a looong time without eating.

Mine still spends most of the day in his hidey hole, but I think he gets out and around at night.

Good luck!

Angela

What are your water parameters? I would give them a little time to adjust. Any other questions you have can probably be answered at the FAQs on caudata culture.

Angela - thanks for the reply! Today one of them seemed a little more active. He was in the front of the tank and I put my finger up to the glass and it was opening its mouth as if to bite. So, I then got out a worm and dangled it in front of him, but he just moved from it. I'll try again later, but the fact that he's being a little more active makes me feel better.

Will- as far as perimeters, I have a 20 gal tank, and i have it with about 4-5 inches of water. I have a cave/plants/tree with leaves and then rock on the bottom. In the corner I have a lizard lounge with plants around it. Which I have seem them climb onto and lay there for awhile and then go right back into the water.

Thanks

Linda

By parameters, I meant nitrite, ammonia, nitrate, ph.

Will - sorry I didn't realize that is what you meant. I do not have a kit that tests that, which I'm heading to petsmart in a little bit so I will pick one up and then I can tell you what those numbers are.

Thanks,

Linda

Sounds good. Just don't get the test strips.

Will - I tested the water with the API kit, and it's not the strips. My numbers are these

Nitrate is at 0 ppm
Ammonia is at 4.0
PH is at 7.6

What should the numbers be at?

Thanks,
LInda

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back