Question about N. kaiseri

David Tobler

Reaction score
Country
United States
Seems like there's a lot of experienced breeders that post here. I've recently found myself in a position where I'll be helping rear some kaiser newts. The group consists of 12 larva, that came from a zoo in Russia. These larva do seem awfully large, about 2.5 to 3 inches TL. I'm curious as to what the overall size, and/or environmental changes that triggers metamorphosis?

In my experience with Neurergus, it's much hard to define the time point that I would say is metamorphosis. Some of the changes are not as closely-coupled as they are in other newts. The larvae will typically get their adult (or nearly adult) color at around 4 months of age, but they will often keep their gills for months after that. Most of the other body shape changes seem to progress more slowly than in other species. I see this with both strauchii and kaiseri. I've also heard of animals that lost their gills together with the color change, and came out of the water in a more typical sequence. Do yours have (or are getting) adult-like colors yet?

In my experience with Neurergus, it's much hard to define the time point that I would say is metamorphosis. Some of the changes are not as closely-coupled as they are in other newts. The larvae will typically get their adult (or nearly adult) color at around 4 months of age, but they will often keep their gills for months after that. Most of the other body shape changes seem to progress more slowly than in other species. I see this with both strauchii and kaiseri. I've also heard of animals that lost their gills together with the color change, and came out of the water in a more typical sequence. Do yours have (or are getting) adult-like colors yet?

The kaiseri I am speaking of already have the adult coloration.

Then I would say that your newts aren't larvae any more. They are juveniles that are retaining their gills.

My avatar photo is exactly such an animal. It's a juvenile N. strauchii with lingering gills.

Then I would say that your newts aren't larvae any more. They are juveniles that are retaining their gills.

My avatar photo is exactly such an animal. It's a juvenile N. strauchii with lingering gills.

I checked on them today... Some of the gills are starting to shrink on a few of the kaiseri.

What do you do for yours during metamorphosis? We were just going to have something floating and sturdy enough for them to climb out, if they wanted to.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back