Jungle Mist. Is it ok to use?

vilaash

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Misty baby
I bought this spray called jungle mist by critter culture. It helps prevent dry skin and shedding problems. It does not have much in it its just aloe vera, Vitamin b1, vitamin b3, emollient, and water. Is it safe to use for a CFBN?

Well, the spray you purchased is intended for use with reptiles and I don't think I would use it on them. I doubt any of the vitamins could pass through the skin and that it would actually have any effect on shedding.

For your newts, I would strongly recommend against using it. The emollient and aloe vera will just add to the bioload of the tank. The emollient may even have toxic effects on the newt. The vitamins would be in such low concentrations that they would be useless.

If you still have the receipt, I would return the product.

It's probably harmless, but I wouldn't use it. I don't know what, if any, toxicity testing they have done with amphibians. On a physiological level, amphibians are quite different from reptiles. I'm wondering about what the "emollient" might be. Probably glycerine.

Any dechlorinated water should be OK, so I would stick with that.

The bottle says it can be used for amphibians.

The bottle says it can be used for amphibians.

Well, the bottle can say anything that it wants but it doesn't mean it is true. A newt that is living aquatically has no need of a moisturizing spray. Dry skin is no problem for a newt or salamander and any shedding problem will be related to disease or nutrition.

I agree. I've been working in the pet industry for over 25 years and I know first hand you can't always trust the label. The pet industry is not as regulated as heavily as products deemed for human use. That being said I would never use any product designed for herpitiles with out first researching it, especially ones designed for amphibians. The misting sprays will help with reptile shedding but keeping them at the proper humidity levels works best. The only times I've seen problems with amphibians shedding were brought because the beasties had health issues. Mark

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back