Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unknown salamader found in germany

svenh

Reaction score
Hello,

my name is Sven and I'm from Germany.
A friend of mine found a little salamander in a delivery of plants, yesterday.
I think this is not a local species and maybe someone here knows the correct name of it.
Below a few pictures of the little guy for identification. Sven (sorry if my english isn't the best :blush: )

Attachments

• 01.08.2008 230.JPG
    01.08.2008 230.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 306
  • 01.08.2008 226.JPG
    01.08.2008 226.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 245
  • 01.08.2008 224.JPG
    01.08.2008 224.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 211

Nathan050793

Reaction score
It appears to be some species of Plethodontid. As Plethodontid species are not native to Germany, you are correct in that it is not local. Do you have any idea as to where the shipment of plants came from?

svenh

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have no idea where the shipment came from.
Could this salamander be a Plethodon cinereus or Eurycea spec.? Someone in a german forum mentioned that, but the pictures I found with Goolge look different.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Could this salamander be a Plethodon cinereus or Eurycea spec.? Someone in a german forum mentioned that, but the pictures I found with Goolge look different.

Although superficially it resembles Plethodon cinereus, I don't think that is what it is. Try this link, it lists every species in the Plethodontidae family and has pictures of many- http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Plethodontidae.shtml

Hope this helps!:D

svenh

Reaction score

I've watched now all the different salamanders in your link and some look similar, but neither looks the same :(
But their look probably varys.
I hope its not a false if I keep him at a cool place and give him wet moss and a flat water dish in his terrarium, is it?

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I hope its not a false if I keep him at a cool place and give him wet moss and a flat water dish in his terrarium, is it?

That sounds about right. The care requirements should be similar to those listed on the care sheets for some of the other Plethodontids in the link. If you use moss, avoid sphagnum moss, as its acidity can be unhealthy.

As for an appropriate ID, maybe someone else can give you a better idea of what it is. Good luck!:D

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Why not P. cinereus, Nathan?

I wasn't convinced that it was P.cinereus, because of the shape of it's face. Also it looked rather large to me (although they can get big).

After seeing Jen's pictures, I can see how it probably is a P.cinereus.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It does have a pretty big head, but I agree that it's probably a red-back. A nice species. Pretty common over here, but probably really cool in Europe.

svenh

Reaction score
Thank you guys for helping me :happy:

It looks really like a Plethodon cinereus, but the red colour on the back of my salamander is very straight and the Plethodon cinereus ones is more uneven with red spots at the side. Maybe its a very close related species?

Jake

Reaction score
It looks really like a Plethodon cinereus, but the red colour on the back of my salamander is very straight and the Plethodon cinereus ones is more uneven with red spots at the side. Maybe its a very close related species?

Plethedon cinereus can have quite a bit of variation in color from one individual to the next.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!