wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Wes von Papineäu
THE SCOTSMAN (Edinburgh, UK) 01 August 08 Scottish revival of crested newts
Britain's most protected amphibian, the great crested newt, is thriving in a new Scots habitat, conservationists announced yesterday.
The rare amphibian has seen its numbers decline in the past 100 years, and the survival of the species remains threatened.
But the creatures have now been discovered in Falkirk, Stirlingshire. The population, located at several sites around the Falkirk area, has been described as "nationally significant".
http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Scottish-revival-of-crested-newts.4351065.jp

BBC (London, UK) 01 August 08 Helping hand for area's rare newt
Evidence that the rare Great Crested Newt is thriving in new habitats in Falkirk has been discovered by conservationists.
A programme of pond conservation work to clear choked ponds of dense vegetation is credited for the news.
The amphibian, which is among Britain's most protected species, has seen its numbers dramatically decline in the past 100 years.
The work was funded by Scottish Natural Heritage.
Conservationists said they were particularly excited over the discovery of the amphibian's eggs in one pond where the newts have never been found before.
The Falkirk Area Biodiversity Partnership has been creating areas of open water - essential if the newts are to successfully breed - since last year.
The work also included excavating several existing ponds to increase their size and depth and planting native pond plants to provide places for the newts to lay their eggs.
Falkirk Council's convener of the environment and heritage committee, Adrian Mahoney, said: "We're delighted that this hard work has paid off and one of the area's rarest species has new and improved breeding grounds which will go some way to securing the future of the Great Crested Newt.
"The newts were incredibly quick to settle into their created home and will hopefully return to breed year after year.
"The success of this project is very encouraging but further work is still required to safeguard Falkirk's Great Crested Newt population."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/tayside_and_central/7537365.stm

Wow, it's great to hear some good news amongst all this bad news of the chytrid fungus and how amphibian species are declining rapidly.

Blackhawk

Great news! 'Mon the newts!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back