Syphon

FOG

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
aimee
I've just bought a syphon, assembled it, and started to read the instructions, it says the bucket I'm putting the dirty water in must be lower than the bottom of the tank. My tank is on my bedroom floor, how exactly can i get the bucket lower than that? Not impressed.

I'm relativly new to all this but I have found the easiest way to syphon a low tank, is to just make sure the end of the syphon is always lower than the top. It does make for slowly syphoning though.
If you just syphon the top for water changes and do regular spot cleans with a turkey baster for the bottom seems to keep my tanks crystal clean.

:wacko: Nat

Last edited:
I've just bought a syphon, assembled it, and started to read the instructions, it says the bucket I'm putting the dirty water in must be lower than the bottom of the tank. My tank is on my bedroom floor, how exactly can i get the bucket lower than that? Not impressed.

Hi, I'd put it somewhere higher - will make it a lot easier to siphon and less risk of damaging it - maybe a small plyth would do it. Cheers, Phil

Yeh I guess thats my only option really, I suppose it'd make it easier to keep an eye on him too. I'll get some sort off small table for his tank to go on. I'd need to take most of the water out to be able to life it though, would i have to put the water in buckets then put it back in, or could i get away with filling it up with fresh treated water without sending it into a cycle again?

Yeh I guess thats my only option really, I suppose it'd make it easier to keep an eye on him too. I'll get some sort off small table for his tank to go on. I'd need to take most of the water out to be able to life it though, would i have to put the water in buckets then put it back in, or could i get away with filling it up with fresh treated water without sending it into a cycle again?

Ahhhh if you replace the water you will certainly go into a complete cycle. Your best bet is to have several buckets ready. I avoid sending my tank into another cycle any way I can LOL.

You don't necessarily need a siphon. My tanks were on the floor for a long time. I cleaned as much as I could with a turkey baster, and then just removed water from the tank with a bucket.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back