Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

wow, this is amazing

ali000

Reaction score
Firstly, Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been around for ages but school summer hols are taking my time:rolleyes:
Hope you are all well ;)

anyway, as some of you may remember I tried raising some larvae (about the same time as eva's), well, when they all died I poured the pots and their contents into a tank I had in the garden for breeding daphnia.

The tank became very unkept and basically a big ball of slime, so this morning I decided to empty it out. I tipped the water out onto the concrete where the tank and walked away, about 10 minutes later I went back to put the tank away and guess what I found!....well, I'm sure you have all guessed straight away, it was a little juvenile axie, and he he/she is

axie .jpg

I would hazard a guess at it being a golden as it looks a lot more yellow than my leucistic.
It has a ravenous appetite and has demolised a bag of daphnia and a large worm (cut up) already.
I don't have a cycled tank to put her in (too small to introduce to the others) so plenty of water changes in my future :rolleyes:

It's about 2". Hope you like it, i'm totally smitten and amazed.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
What a lovely surprise! My Rogue was discovered in an outside tank after I had thought all my eggs etc had gone..Tough little guys!! He is a year old and has just come indoors to join his sibling.

ali000

Reaction score
I remember you talking about him before. Glad he's made it and upgraded indoors :D I do wonder whether my little miracle would have been better off left outside, but the choice was taken away as I'd thrown all the water and algae away.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh Wow Ali!

Boy, will he/she have a story to tell the others when big enough to join them! ;)

Cheers Jacq.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1