Dr. Kevin Zippel talk

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kaysie
Anyone who's in the Michigan area (or traveling there around this time, DAWN!!), Dr. Kevin Zippel will be speaking at Central Michigan University, entitled "2008 Year of the Frog: Addressing the Amphibian Extinction Crisis". Dr. Zippel is the current director of Amphibian Ark, and is the former curator for the National Amphibian Conservation Center at the Detroit Zoo.

Anyone wanting more info can contact Zach Eagen at eagen1zd@cmich.edu

That'd be pretty exciting to hear from that guy. Our zoo curator is Andy Snider, who was the curator of reptiles at the Detroit Zoo. He's added a lot of new amphibians in the past year. I'm still crossing my fingers for some Kihansi Spray Toads to make their way here.....

I've met Andy (and his bad hair cut) on many occasions. He's a great guy. You're lucky!

What's the date he'll be talking, Kaysie?

p.s. which Central Mich Univ., I mapquested it and there are a couple locations.

Last edited:
D'oh! I paraphrased the email I got, and seem to have left out the two most key points!

The talk will be on September 4th, at 4 pm, in 176 Brooks Hall. I assume this is on the main campus in Mount Pleasant.

Attachments

• 2008 Year of the Frog.doc
    67.5 KB · Views: 240
I'm not leaving on my road trip until Sept 4. On the upside, however, I added the Akron zoo to my list.

I've met Andy (and his bad hair cut) on many occasions. He's a great guy. You're lucky!

I walked past Andy today...his hair wasn't too bad.

The lead herp curator at the zoo is actually a friend of Dr. Zippel. I was surprized to hear that Zippel is fairly young, late 20's - early 30's maybe.

I've always likened Andy's hair to a bad toupee. Nice guy though. Maybe he found a better barber in Cali. lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back