Hi everybody :)

Georgia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, I just joined but I've been snooping around here all summer preparing for getting my newts. I ordered two newts from a local family-owned exotic pet store that actually gets them from breeders.

I've been waiting for months for them to arrive because one of the breeders doesn't have any in stock, and the other one wanted to wait to ship it because of the flooding here in the mid-west, but I am still super excited and I can't wait for them to get here!

I ordered an Eastern Newt and a "Oregon" Newt, so we'll see if it's a T. granulosa or T. Torosa.

woo i've been snooping around this site for a couple months too i finaly got a sick tank and can;t wait to set it up for some newts. check it out its a nice tank for a corner and some guy was going to throw it out!

Photo34-1.jpg

Georgia, are you sure they get their animals from breeders? Neither Easterns nor any of the Taricha are commonly bred in captivity.

Hmmm, well I guess it's hard to be certain. Here is what I know:

-The owner told me they thoroughly investigate their suppliers and they don't buy wild newts (I know this means very little though).

-They had a very short list of the types of newts they could order for me because they said those were the only types they had trustworthy breeders for.

-They told me the breeder for Tarachia doesn't have them available very often so it might be a long wait.

-Both the pet store and the Eastern newt breeder refuse to ship newts during the summer (which is now where I am).

I'm not sure what to think, maybe I'm too inclined to trust people. Should I try to get contact information for the breeders? Or should I cancel my order and try to get a newt from someone on here?

While they sound pretty reputable, and I give them big props for all those points, I would doubt that these animals are captive bred. They may not be available for a while because they're waiting for wild salamanders to lay eggs.

I would say that if you can find the animals legitimately captive bred (both of those species have been offered here), then I would go for it. But if not, this company sounds pretty legit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back