Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Green worms?

Ciddian

Reaction score
I located a 24 hour bait shop! :D But i happened to see a box labeled as 'green worms'

Have you guys seen these before? Would they be safe for feeding to my newt?
I am so sorry if this is somewhere else but i couldnt seem to find it.

Thanks!

oceanblue

Reaction score
Green worms are a small species of shallow burrowing earthworm - Allolobophora chlorotica. They are listed as a fairly common native species in the UK and I've probably fed them to my axolotls. They should be OK for newts.

I found this guide to worms which may help identify types in UK gardens but will not cover all the species in other areas.

http://www.uclan.ac.uk/facs/science/ewff/index.htm

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What oceanblue says is possible, regarding the ID of the worms. However, they could also be artificially-dyed Canadian nightcrawlers, which are a common bait shop product here in the US. If they are the artificially-dyed worms, I wouldn't use them. It's possible that they use a safe food-color to dye them, but there is no way to know for sure what sort of dye is used.

dianabee

Reaction score
Similarly to what the others have mentioned, I've also seen nightcrawlers dyed green, and have even seen worms covered in a substance that made them glow. I can't imagine those chemicals being healthy for any animal.

Ciddian

Reaction score
thank you for the help you guys. I am curious as to what they are. I asked the man at the shop and he just looked at me and said "They are...green worms." LOL

I might pick some up next time for curiosity sake and have a look at them. They are about 5 dollars a dozen. I will not feed them if they look odd or dyed.

Thank you again

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've found that if you tell the bait shop what you're using them for, they will be a little more accomodating, at least for the amusement factor. They will probably let you look at them without buying them.

Ciddian

Reaction score
i'll ask when i go :) The gentleman that I spoke too didnt really understand what i was saying. I dont think his english wasnt too strong but i will ask anyways. He was very nice ^^

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Almost certainly dyed. I buy my nightcrawlers from the bait fridge at Academy and they have those green ones too.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Everyone should just stay away from anything that doesn't look natural. They color mealworms and wax worms red now. Which I discovered when I got home from the bait store with some wax worms that were pink. So check you worms before you leave. Red 40 dye isn't good for people or caudata's as its made somehow from coal. I don't think coal is good for anything but acid rain and acid mine drainage problems. Who know where they get the green from. Maybe baby poo

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1