Newbie Axolotl help please?

MissBehave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
MissBehave
Hi, I got my first Axolotl on tuesday from a pet shop. He is adult, and I am confused trying to work out if he is a wild one. Is it ok to have a wild one? I'm also unsure about feeding, I have a big supply of food for him in freezer. He had a pinkie tuesday, it was defrosted by time I got home & he enjoyed that. I fed him a cube of frozen bloodworm yesterday. Do I defrost the pinkies first? I have some hairy ones too for him (yuck lol). Thanks for any help :) x

Do you mean he is a wild type or that he has actually been taking from the wild?

If he has been taken from his natural habit that is illegal.

As for the food I think it would be better to defrost before feeding, makes it easier on the digestion, but I wouldn't feed him too many pinkies they are very fatty. I feed mine earthworms on a regular basis bloodworm is good but I find messy.

I think you can tell a wild type by their color, eg; my wild type is black with lots of green spots while a other type would be mostly one color.

This is my Wild Type

This is my Other Type

I also have a white one but the image has stuffed it self.

Hi MissBehave,

The phrase "wild" type refers to the axolotl's color. The easiest way to tell the difference between a wild type and a melanoid (the other "olive" color type) is that wild types have a ring around the eyes and melanoid do not.

Any frozen food should be defrosted and briefly rinsed before being fed to the axolotl.

Good luck,

-Eva

Completely. As in no longer frozen.

I am guessing you are thinking of the messy bloodworms. A neat trick for feeding these is to put fill a jar (or teacup or ...) with tank water and then put the defrosted, rinsed bloodworms into the jar, then set the jar (slowly or it will flood everywhere) onto the floor of the tank. The axolotls will very quickly learn where to find the food and the jar prevents the worms from getting everywhere.

The same trick works wonderfully for live worms of various types, as well - much less incidence of the worms burying themselves in the substrate.

-Eva

Thanks for the tip Blueberlin, ill give it a go tomorrow night and see if they find it:proud:.

Thank you for your replies. His eyes do have a white ring around the pupils. I think best thing for me to do is take a picture of him :)

Ok here he is.........if I have uploaded right :)

Attachments

• DSC00599.JPG
    DSC00599.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC00597.JPG
    DSC00597.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 158
Looks like a wild type to me...the gravel should be replaced with sand or left bare as it can cause impaction in your axolotl.

Last edited:
I agree with Bellabelloo, i have a mix of gravel and larger stones / pebbles.
i put the gravel on the bottom to bring the height of the ground up then i cover them with large pebbles so they can not eat the gravel.:p

Oh thanks, I don't want to hurt the poor bugger :( Can I get pebbles & sand from a pet store? I feel so guilty now!

Using large rocks to cover pebbles/gravel isn't a good idea. Axolotls are masters at rooting through substrate, and can easily get at this. Large rocks will not stop them from eating gravel.

You really should just use sand. Children's play sand or pool filter sand are good options.

Using large rocks to cover pebbles/gravel isn't a good idea. Axolotls are masters at rooting through substrate, and can easily get at this. Large rocks will not stop them from eating gravel.

Really, i never knew that i have been looking around for the sand as it is much easier to keep clean:D
i should have mentioned that also before:(

What is a local B&Q?

You should be able to find that sand at any local hardware store, or pool supply store.

In UK you can get sand from Argos, Toys R us and B & Q (DIY store for those not from these parts!) I'm talking about children's play sand here! Kerry.

Thank you very much :) I'm going to get him some sand asap! God I am totally in love with Naboo. This made sound odd but he knows me already, if my hand goes in tank, he kinda smells me then nuzzles my hand really gently. Any one else & he chases their hand & bites lol. He sits for hours just gazing at me too awwww .......or maybe I'm just bonkers hehe

He is gazing at you thinking....go on mum just one more worm...go on one more won't hurt or one of those pink things from the freezer, I could manage another...why are you still there.....feed me...feed me now...lol

Heh heh Yeh he saying feed me silly woman. God I'm getting him a lil dickie bow & marrying him anyway :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back