Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What's a good species to keep in South East Asia?

Saint Splatterg

Reaction score
Hello keepers.

I have a question to ask all of you. But first, some background.

I live in a tropical country in South East Asia. It's very humid here, and humidity often reaches 100%. The temperate here goes from 22 °C to 34 °C (72° to 93 °F). Newts I have seen being sold are usually either Shanjing species or Fire bellys.

I used to have a fire belly and I had it for almost a year. I'm thinking of keeping another one, but before that, I want to do even more research to ensure that it survives as long as it can! I've read almost all of the relevant FAQs (Cooling, General FAQ, species Care Sheet, Filters) so I'm definitely not lazy. I also scratched my head over the Cycling article. I want to do all I can for my future darling newt.

My question is, which species should I keep given the climate here? Is it possible for a fire belly to thrive here?

I am determined and am willing to drop ice cubes (dechlorinated, of course) every evening, air condition it every night etc etc. Just please let me know what else I can do!

P.S.
I have not determined what sort of Fire Belly (orientalis or pyrrogaster) they keep at this farm here. I will let you guys know after I have made a trip there.

Many thanks in advance,
Jelly

freves

Reaction score
I apologize in advance but I am totally unfamiliar with SE Asian housing in general. With that said do you have a basement? I'm guessing not. You mentioned running an AC unit at night. Is there anyway that you could run AC in a room throughout the day and perhaps turn it off at night if the temperature allows? Do you have frequent power failures and if so could you install a backup generator? Otherwise if you are going to be exposing a salamander to temperatures that may reach 93 f then I do not believe that there are any options. I have read that C. ensicauda popei can withstand higher temps as well as some Paramesotriton species however others with more experience with these species would have to chime in, and again I think that 93 f would be pushing it. Are there any native species in your general region?
Chip

Last edited:

Saint Splatterg

Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply, Foster Reves. Please don't apologise!

Yes, I can keep the A/C on amd luckily we almost don't suffer from power failures at all! I have a hunch that C. ensicauda popei might be available at the farm... I'll have to go check. Also, I don't think there are any native salamanders here... I could be wrong, but I've never seen one or heard anyone mentioning it. I just did a check on Google and there were no results.

I think what I'll do is this. I will go to the farm sometime and see how they're keeping the little critters alive. Cuz from what I heard, they have TONS of them.

Another question I want to pose: I haven't seen this mention in the Setup articles... what sort of lighting would be good for a tank that's about a foot long?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1