Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floating Axolotl

ron570

Reaction score
I've got a axolotl that is 2 inches long, about 4 months old. Seems perfectly healthy in most respects, it's just been floating on it side for about the last two weeks. It eats fine. I feed it blood worms every night and it gobbles them up. I figured it just swallowed an air bubble. I've had babies swallow air before and can usually get it to burp it up by feeding it in shallow water but this guy just won't burp. It eats and poops everyday. It just looks so uncomfortable floating sideways. I keep it in shallow water so if can touch the ground and get to the food. I'm keeping it in a plastic container (on of those Glad resealable container,no top). Since I keep so little water in it I change the majority of the water every day. If I put any more water in the container it just floats at the top and can't get to its food.

Could it be something else beside a swallowed bubble?

Thanks Ron

philbaker76

Reaction score
If he was mine, I'd probably starve him for a few days - to see if this helps him pass what ever it is that's causing him to float on his side.

I'm no expert though mate, I'm sure someone else will have better advice. Cheers, Phil

ron570

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about also putting it in the frig for a few days also. I don't feed them when I put them in the frig.

Thanks Ron

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The fridge is good. But if it's eating and pooping daily, I doubt it's an air bubble. It could be a cyst or something, fluid filled, causing it to float. It would be hard to say without a photograph.

ron570

Reaction score
I've been trying to get a pic but the macro on my camera isn't good enough to get a good pic. It's only 2 inches long. There isn't any lump in it. Its body shape actually looks prety normal other than its back half floating. He's in the fridge and he's pooped a few times but is still floating.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

damien

Reaction score
One of my juvies had the same symptoms.. floating on a side, but eating fine.
I thought he would die, but still I isolated it. After about a week it began swimming normally again.
I think that as long as it eats and poops, chances of recovery are good.

ron570

Reaction score
Danny, when you isolated him, how much water did you keep him in? Was it deep or just enough to cover him? I was keeping mine in just enough water to cover it so it was easy for it to reach the food. When I kept it in deeper water it would have such a hard time swimming to the bottom to get the food.

Thanks
Ron

ron570

Reaction score
I took it out of the fridge and today put it into a container with deep water. It was floating until I put some worms in there and then it started swimming down and eating. I'll see if it continues to stay submerged.

Thanks

Ron

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1