Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to amputate???

caudatadude28

Reaction score
I have a thread on my new paddle tail already but i am in Desparate for some help. My paddle tailed newt has a chunk out of his leg and it is discolored so I think the blood supply is cut off. I cant go to the vet because my vet does not know anything about any thing with out "fur". The only medication I have access to is easily accessible meds like over the counter. I need step by step instructions. Please Help!!!:(

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Calm down...there was no need for another thread. It kind of sounds like you actually want to cut it off...:S
There is no need to cut anything off, if there is a wound you first need to clarify if it´s a sore, a chunk that has been bitten off, or what. If it´s infected, aply Neosporin. If it´s a sore it may spread, but if it´s a missing chunk due to agression, it will heal and grow back.
Best thing you can do is take a picture of it and post it here....since you obviously don´t know what´s going on with the newt.

rigsby

Reaction score
If a leg is bitten clean off and no infection sets in then the leg will grow back most of the time, however if a leg is partly bitten off and becomes infected causing the leg to fall off then the leg will rarely grow back so amputation above the infection would be the best bet to aid regrowth of the new limb.BUT i wouldn't do it yourself ,surely your vet can do it for you its not like amputating ,say a dogs leg its simply cutting it off above the infection.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I think, as Rodrigo says a photo is necessary here for any one to be able to advise, It is impossible to do so otherwise. Any vet will amputate if they feel it is needed, whether they deal with amphibians or not. They do have access to information and resources that we do not have. If you are as concerned as you appear to be a vet is vital. I strongly advise you to do this.

caudatadude28

Reaction score
I will try and get a picture. I dont have money for the vet either. So, just wondering, but I have heard that, the wounded leg will just rot/fall off if it does not have blood supply? Could I just leave him alone? I am almost positive it wont heal. I will try to get a picture now.

Abrahm

Reaction score
A picture would be best to properly identify the necessary course of action for treatment.

If amputation is the best option please do not try to perform it by yourself. Try working with one of your local vets. It should be a super simple procedure and they may do it for really cheap or free.

Let me also remind you that our forum has a great search feature and an extensive set of articles. Please try using these resources first as all your recent topics are covered by these. A little bit of logic and critical thinking will allow you to adapt information to your personal situation.

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Here are some pics taken with my camera phone. They are the best I can get at the moment.Sorry.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

caudatadude28

Reaction score
I said I would keep this thread updated, well I have new news to tell and it is not good. It has been over a week. I tried to let it heal on its own but it has become progressively gotten worse. His leg has now turned competely grey except for the foot, it is pink. I am certain it is dead and rotten because it is kinda flaky and I can now see the bone easily. How do I amputate? I CANT go to the vet.

Abrahm

Reaction score
I'm going to cross post this from the other thread:
Hold up there. You say the foot/leg is dead, but if it is pink I don't think it would be. Necrotic flesh is not pink, that's a sign of blood flow and thus life. I would post some pictures here for more opinions.

Please don't do anything rash by performing an amputation yourself. Call your local vets and see if they can provide an amputation. Even if they don't know about amphibians they should at least be able to provide that service, maybe for free. At the very least it would be in a sterile environment by experienced hands with a lot of back up supplies, medicine and knowledge if necessary.

Why can't you go to the vet?

caudatadude28

Reaction score
here are some new pics:

picture.php
picture.php

I am not going to do it rash. Tomarrow I am going to start salt bath treatments like a very knowledgable person told me to. The bad leg is the grey one. The foot is less bright now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1