Question: Guppies, Live Plants and Axolotls?

broadbent30

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey everyone,

I just Put 3 guppies into the tank with my axolotls to see how they go and so far i think its going to be a hit. Within the first 3 minuets one axolotl had a go and now the other 2 are all active:D will let you all know how it goes later.

I have been looking for some good live plants to put in my tank and today at the only pet shop that sold plants that looked like nice and leafy, they told me not to put any in as the axolotls will rip them up and the water will be told cold 17 - 19 degrees C. i know that some people have said that the plants make the axolotls more active but i just want to give them some more places to hide.

Does any one know if this is the case?

Also my female is looking like she is about to lay eggs, i am thinking of removing her from the tank before she does to save the time removing them later... The tank that i have is
L=240mm W=140mm H=180mm and she is about 15 - 20cm long does any one know if this is a good idea?

Thanks in advance.

P.s: By the time i have finshed this post i am down to 2 guppies my gold one had an early dinner.

My lot love guppies, and they don't tend to last too long. I keep a separate tank for them and feed the axolotl the youngsters that are bred..remember they should be quarantined for approx a month after purchase.
Java fern and Anubia are reasonably tough enough to withstand axolotl attack and my care and seem to thrive in the cooler and somewhat darker tanks.
Not sure what to suggest regarding your female, I feel that moving her may add to her stress. While watching my female laying eggs , I felt she was rather stressed and frantic through out and I ended up covering the tank and leaving her alone. If you should move her make sure there are plenty of plants etc that she can attach the eggs to.

quarantined for approx a month after purchase.
Java fern and Anubia are reasonably tough enough to withstand axolotl attack and my care and seem to thrive in the cooler and somewhat darker tanks.

Thanks for the reply i'm guessing that we should quarantine them so we know they wont get the axolotls sick? i never thought about it:(

Ill have to have a look around for those plants on Monday sounds good thou.

Im still not sure on the female i guess ill leave her be that way every thing will go nice and easy for her.

I can second bellabelloo on the anubias and Java fern. I keep both in my axolotl tank with great success so far. The anubia and java fern are both similar in that they produce daughter plants which are released as soon as they are big enough and float around the tank unitl they get caught on something and attach themselves to it.
My java fern has tripled itself since I put it in the tank around a month ago and its also fascinating to see the new baby plants growing from its parents leaves. It requires little care and doesn't seem to mind not having much light. It will root itself to anything it can get hold of.

Does any one know if guppies "clean" any part of your tank or just make it messy like other fish?

Guppies just make a mess. Although I believe they also eat new (axolotl) hatchlings, if you consider that "cleaning".

I have some guppies in with mine, they like to to eat the left over blood worms.

I have some guppies in with mine, they like to to eat the left over blood worms.

Hummm sound like they could do some good, thats the reason i don't feed my axolotls blood worm it hides under the gravel which will soon be sand :D

I have one live plant that is to my surprise still living but has been chewed on by my axies. I also have three guppies and one black molly. The molly eats the algae so he helps a little and the guppies do make a mess, but eat leftovers so that doesn't become a problem and scavenge so I don't worry about feeding them and they are al breed in a seperate tank (breeding tank) and one has gotten big and I just recently put the other two in there and soon I will put the healthy fry in there so my axies can have a snack every once in a while.;)

Just wondering, do you have your guppy fry in a separate tank then the parents?
I'm also breeding guppies as feeder, but I keep the fry with the adults in te same tank (I just can't see it when one is about to give birth, they are non-stop fat :p)

The combination with cherry shrimp in the tank is superb. The tank hardly needs maintenance. Once in a while I change some water and get the algae off the glass, but that is all.. The guppy poo gets eaten and so are the food leftovers...

I put some java fern in the axie tank yesterday, and one of my axies was laying on it this morning :) Since my tank needs more plants, I took a fairly big one :) Let's hope it multiplies like crazy.

I also got around 20 guppy yesterday...
One of the students who also took some axolotl
and is breeding guppy brought me some of his bunch.
2 adult females (3cm long), one 2cm long female, and the rest was little babies.:lick:
:D
Today, only the two big females are left.
And, the guppy also changed their behaviour--
while they were swimming all over the tank yesterday,
they only stay at the surface for now.
I wonder why...
:rolleyes:
But, yes, the guppy are very good in eating left over blood worm.

My axies are really very spoiled, and they also look very spoiled
with their big tummies.
But they have much to regenerate.
Although they make up very good hunters even without
full grown legs and arms.
;)

The guppy also changed their behavior,
But, yes, the guppy are very good in eating left over blood worm.

I have noticed that my axolotls have become alot more aggressive when it coming to feeding time they all just bite even if there is not food... hehehe

Also i don't think the guppy's will last long enough to start cleaning the old food :D

Today morning I got a shock--
ALL my guppies have gone, dissappeared mysteriously.:rolleyes:
And it was planned that the axolotl leave the big pregnant
females as slow life food releasers!:p
Well, That plan did not go so well.:eek:
I wonder which one of the axolotl got them.
They both looked very fat, happy and content today,
and did not move around at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back