Question: Setting up a bigger tank, how many axies?

Jess

Reaction score
Country
United States
My new tank dimensions are:

76cm long x 46cm tall x 31cm wide

(30" long x 18.5" tall x 12" wide)

I'm not sure how many gallons it is, I now its bigger than my old ten gallon, I'm thinking its 15-20 gallons.

How many axies could this comfortable house?

Thanks for all replies!!

sounds like a 30 gallon tank. 3 to 4 adults would do fine in it with good biological filtration.

Hi Jess,

76cm tank length will comfortably fit one axolotl. Two axolotls maximum.

It's recommended to have 45cm (18 inchs) tank length per axolotl, but if you have sufficient hides and are dilligent in monitoring the water quality two axolotls should be comfortable enough in this size tank.

I agree with Michael it's a 30 gal. It is the same dimensions as mine. I think you could have 3-4 also. As long have you keep a real close eye on the water with lots of place for them to hide.

I lean towards what Jacq as recommended. One axie possibly 2 if you do frequent water changes and have plenty of hiding places for them.

I've two 25 cm axolotls in a tank 40% smaller than this one by area. It is beginning to get difficult to manage, water quality is kept fine only by meticulous care and there was an acceptable but worrying ammonia spike when I fed them heavily after a weeks holiday.

Behaviourally if you put in enough hides there is no problem with four. If you are mean on the testing or irregular in water changing stick to two. Whatever you do try to take your time and stock it gradually if possible.

Generally I go by a little more than 1 adult axolotl for 10 gallons of water. The footprint of the tank also has to be taken into account. I was telling somebody last week that I'd probably put more axolotls in a 40 gallon breeder tank than I would put in a standard 50 or 55 gallon tank. The breeder tank is not as tall and has a bigger foot print.

sounds like a 29 gallon to me lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back