Rescue Advice! Tiger Salamander?

Korista

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was cleaning out a room in my newly purchased home today when I opened the window to find a black and yellow salamander curled up in the dirt inside the window well. I watched it for awhile and saw no movement, so I VERY gently touched it with a stick. The salamander moved slightly, but not much. I closed the window back up and tried to ID the salamander using the internet and I THINK it is a tiger salamander. I opened the window up again to check on it and to be sure of its markings. When I opened the window, it turned its head to look at me. We watched each other for awhile. Then it very very slowly crawled into a burrow in the dirt.

I guess what question is this...could the window well possibly be the salamander’s home or do you think it’s trapped? The window well is corrugated metal that is around 3 feet deep, straight down. It is under a deck so the area is cool and moist (seems like a good place for a salamander). But I wasn’t sure because of the sides of the window well are so deep.

I honestly don’t know much about salamanders and I want to make sure this one is ok. Any advice or info (if it can get out of the window well on its own) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

-Korista

They are often found in window wells. However, once its in the window well, it probably won't be able to get back out.

If you're concerned about its wellbeing, I suggest removing it from the window well the next time it's raining and putting it in a sheltered spot close by (preferably in the woods, under some cover).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back