Six Toes!

brella

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just noticed that one of my axolotls has 6 toes on one of her limbs. Is this a mutation that she was born with and I just didn't notice or did she regrow and regrew 6 rather than 5? Is this bad in general?

Also--I noticed that both of my axolotls have small bites taken out of their tails. Is this very harmful for them? How do I prevent it?

The six toes is not a problem. It more than likely got a bite and just regrew 6.

As far as the tail bites, they have an amazing regeneration ability and as long as they're in good water conditions and healthy that shouldn't be a problem. In order to prevent that from ever happening you'd have to keep them in their own tanks. It's possible for them to get bites even if there were only 2 in a small indoor pond, they aren't picky when they're in feeding mode and will bite whatever or whoever gets in their way.

Hi Brella,

The regeneration process is not always perfect and an extra appendage or even limb growing is not unusual. It just makes for a 'special' axolotl. ;)

The tails should regenerate and heal with no problem. Axolotls will tend to snap at anything that passes by - including tank mates. Young juveniles tend to be more aggresive than the adults.

When feeding the axies, try feeding them at opposite ends of the tank to one another.

The only 100 percent guarantee method though is to seperate the axolotls.

Thank goodness they can regenerate! :eek:

Thank goodness they can regenerate! :eek:
Oh my... where would we be without regeneration??? 6 toes is really quite awesome :p My charming little Caspian has 5 and a half toes on one foot while big mumma Toady has only 1 toe because she's getting on in the years. Amazing little creates hehe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back