Tank Renovations - Newt Hotel?

aghiowa

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. I am planning some major tank renovations over the next week or so. Where do I keep my newt in the meantime?

I have a plastic critter keeper box thing. Can I just take some of my current gravel and water, and my newt's favorite rock hide and keep him in there while I redo the tank? He rarely if ever voluntarily goes in the water, but do I need to worry about water changes while he's in there?

Also, once I get it set up, I know the water will have to cycle, although I plan on keeping the current water and rocks etc to seed the new water with good stuff. Would it be safer to keep my newt in the critter keeper until the water has cycled, or just do daily partial water changes and keep him in his new tank while it cycles?

Sorry for all the questions. I have never kept amphibians before, but it's really growing on me. Thanks for all the great advice here!
Angela

I have a plastic critter keeper box thing. Can I just take some of my current gravel and water, and my newt's favorite rock hide and keep him in there while I redo the tank? He rarely if ever voluntarily goes in the water, but do I need to worry about water changes while he's in there?

Also, once I get it set up, I know the water will have to cycle, although I plan on keeping the current water and rocks etc to seed the new water with good stuff. Would it be safer to keep my newt in the critter keeper until the water has cycled, or just do daily partial water changes and keep him in his new tank while it cycles?

How large is your critter keeper? If its large enough that shouldnt be a problem. I would recommend at least a partial water change daily if there is no filtration. Your newt(species?) may be going in the water whle your not looking, even so it should have the option of clean water.

Personaly I would cycle before re introducing your newt to the tank for several reasons. First off its just easier to measure the water quality as it cycles and keep an eye on whats happening without the newt in there, you want an ammonia source you can control for best accuracy and bacterial growth. Secondly there is some debate over wether the spikes in quality and bacterial build up in a tank as it begins to cycle are actualy harmful to amphibia.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back