Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

CNAH Press Release: Predator-Prey Interactions between Hellbenders And Native and Nonnative Fishes

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
NEWS RELEASE
The Center for North American Herpetology
Lawrence, Kansas
*http://www.cnah.org
11 August 2008

PREDATOR-PREY INTERACTIONS BETWEEN HELLBENDERS (CRYPTOBRANCHUS
ALLEGANIENSIS ALLEGANIENSIS AND C. A. BISHOPI) AND NATIVE AND NONNATIVE FISHES

Brian G. Gall. 2008. Master's Thesis, Missouri State University, Springfield. viii + 84 pp.

ABSTRACT: The introduction of nonnative fishes often results in the local extinction of
native amphibians due to a lack of evolutionary history and therefore, minimally-adapted
antipredator behaviors toward the introduced fishes. Populations of Hellbenders
(Cryptobranchus alleganiensis) in Missouri have declined considerably since the 1980?s,
coinciding with a rapid increase in trout introductions for recreational angling. I examined
Hellbender and fish predator-prey interactions by: (1) examining the foraging behavior of
predatory fishes in response to a Hellbender secretion; (2) comparing the number of
secretion and control-soaked food pellets consumed by trout; and (3) comparing the
response of larval Hellbenders to chemical stimuli from introduced (trout) and native fish
predators. Brown Trout, Walleye and large Banded Sculpin respond to Hellbender
secretions with increased activity while small Banded Sculpin responded by decreasing
activity. In addition, Brown Trout ingested more Hellbender secretion-soaked food pellets
than control pellets, while Rainbow Trout expelled secretion-soaked food pellets. Finally,
larval Hellbenders exhibited weak fright behavior in response to chemical stimuli from
nonnative trout relative to their responses to native predatory fish stimuli. These
combinations of responses indicate that predation by nonnative fishes may be a plausible
hypothesis for the decline of Hellbender populations in Missouri.

A gratis PDF of this thesis is available from the CNAH PDF Library at

*http://www.cnah.org/cnah_pdf.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1