Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Are these salamanders or newts?

hcq33

Reaction score
This little fellow was "hatched" from eggs and is 4 months old. The eggs were found in a local overflow pond connected to a small neighborhood bird/pond sanctuary. The largest one is just now 2 inches. I live in western Washington if that helps. They are very fast swimmers and it is very hard to get a clear picture of them. I need to know what type of animal it is, so I can care for it correctly. Right now I have 4 of them living in two divided betta bowls. They did not like being together, we had some bitting issues. Any advice would be great. Thanks for a wonderful website!
hcq33:wacko:
2745732944_4813e6ed1e.jpg

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'm afraid I can't offer you an ID, but I would suggest trying to find a guide book for local herps at your local library or university, and seeing if they have larvae keys in them. One general book that is pretty good is Petranka's book Salamanders of the United States and Canada.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it will be exciting to watch and see what it grows up to be! When it gets larger you can post more pics and maybe we'll start recognizing something.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1