Fungus ~

inkozana

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Stef
Hi guys,
My Axolotl Samantha died today from a fungus that spread very quickly from her gills to her mouth.
I had her in the fridge for 2 days and salt baths three times each day. That didn't seem to help her.

I don't understand how the fungus had spread so quickly and I am still upset from losing her, she had such character. Anyway, my question is- how can I prevent fungus from growing in my tank, or on my axolotl (I don't have an axolotl at the moment though) :singing:

:( Thank-you.

Hi Stef,

I'm sorry about your axie.

Fungus is usually caused by water quality issues and temperature. If you could advise on your water parameters (Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate/PH) and temperature that may help us ascertain how the fungus developed.

Sorry to hear your bad news, its tough.
You can help prevent fungus from growing in your tank by carrying out regular spot checks. You're looking for uneaten food, axolotl poo, decaying plants material, basically anything that can go 'bad' and start to decompose.
You only have to leave the tiniest piece of food behind in the tank and very quickly you will notice fungus growing on it.
I would also imagine keeping the temperature of the tank water down as low as you can would help as cooler temperatures inhibit fungal growth to a degree.

Okay, the temperature of the water is usually around 18 degrees.
It was probably some poop or uneaten food that started the fungus.
Thanks for your help :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back