A Worm is a Worm...or Not?

aghiowa

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. I have a chinese fire belly newt, and have successfully been feeding him earthworm, cut up, from my outdoor compost pile. Are these dug worms actually compost worms, or are they just earthworms that happen to live in compost? I have read here that compost worms are not tasty. I am asking because winter is around the corner, and I want to get a good supply of worms for an indoor worm bin, so Fred can eat over the winter. I imagine if I were diligent, I could dig through my compost pile and find enough worms to seed a good colony, but I don't want to do it if they're the "wrong type" of worm.

I live in Iowa, the midwestern part of the United States, if that helps at all.

Thanks!
Angela

If your newt is already eating the worms than you obviously don't have a problem! The worm that newts often refuse is often called a red wriggler or Eisenia foetida. These particle worms exude a substance that some predators, including newts find distasteful.

I would imagine that either your worms are not red wrigglers or the newt does not mind the taste.

I know from experience with compost worms that when they are cut up that they do have a distinct smell to them, which I am thinking is the toxins. So if your chopping them up and not smelling anything I am sure there not compost worms.

Just out of curiosity during the winter shouldn't the compost outside be able to keep enough heat to sustain a decent colony of worms?

Probably, but I don't feel like digging through 3 feet of snow to get to them! ;)

Thanks everyone,
Angela

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back