Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Temperatures for newts

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Okay, I have been reading books and they say that most newts need a temp of 60-69F. I do not have access to those temperatures. I have a Paddletail newt. He is in temps around 69-72F. My books say 73 can be dangerous and 75 can be fatal. Is this true. If I go by what my books say, the only species that can tolerate 70-75 without stress are Chinese Firebelly newts, and some crested newts. Is this true? Someone on this site that is very smart and experienced told me that 70-73 is okay for paddletails but 75 is too much. Do I need to give my paddletail to someone with proper temps or are mine okay. I want what is best for the newt. Thank you for the help to all who answer.

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
The closer you can get the optimal temperature the better and usually colder is better. At times newts can take higher temps but they will be stressed and wont live long under such conditions.

There are many things you can do the drop the temps that arent expensive or hard. For one, make sure you have a cover with a screen. Make sure you are in the coolest part of your house, basements work good. If this doesn't drop it enough, adding a frozen water bottles/ice cubes can work.

Good luck,

Mitch

oregon newt

Reaction score
As long as it doesn't get any higher I would say your probably okay. I think though, you should try to lower the temperature anyway. Though some newts can tolerate those temps, but they prefer lower temperatures and it is probably less stressful on them. I wouldn't think 75 degrees would be fatal for a newt, but probably very stressful. Anything probably 77 degrees or above could kill a newt in a short period of time. Caudata culture has some aquarium cooling methods.

caudatadude28

Reaction score
A person I talked to said that the temp fluctuations were very stressfull and are actually harder on the newt than a consistant temp of 69-73, usually 70.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are some other warm-tolerant species that you didn't mention, such as Japanese firebellies, C.ensicauda, ribbed newts, and a few others. I'm sure that 75 for a few days/weeks isn't fatal. Paddletails are pretty hardy overall. But I wouldn't subject it to that temperature all summer long.

I don't worry too much about temp fluctuations. I suppose that a constant temp is ideal, but I would opt for a cooler temp at night (i.e., cold packs) rather than a constant 75F night and day.

As Midnight mentioned, screen lids and fans can make a significant reduction in temp. See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

aghiowa

Reaction score
What kind of behavior would you typically see in a newt kept at a borderline high temperature for an extended period of time?

Angela

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
hey,
If you need to cool down the temperature, I use some bottles of declorinated water from the freezer in my tank. that usually cools it down 2 or 3 degrees C.

Blackhawk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1