My Axy wont eat!

Axyloverxx

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Display Name
Alliexx
Hey,
Im really worried about my Axy - Shes a melanoid who looks like shes about to lay eggs. I just changed the water today and altered they're regular food. ( they normally eat pellets but im giving them Axylotl meat now could this have something to do with them not eating? Here it is 9.54 pm is it too late for them to eat?

When axolotls reach adult hood they do not need food every day every two to 3 days is about right, my axis do not eat all the time either just when they feel like it but genorly good eaters. Maby they are used to the old food as well some time when changing food it can take them time to gey used to it, have you tryed earth worm, dillies and prawns they are good food and they love the odd earth worm every nown and then. And with the feeding times axolotls sleep durring the day and are awake during the nite so its best to feed at night any way as i feed my bout 8 oclockish when they get active.

Would you explain to me what 'axolotl meat ' is? I have never heard of it.

Its a mix of fish, vitamins and minerals and its full of nutrients. That all they sell In Papamoa....
Can you just get earth worms for the garden?

Can you just get earth worms for the garden?

You can, as long as you are very certain no chemical fertilizers or insecticides have been used in or around the garden that the worms may have been exposed to.

Im really worried about my Axy - Shes a melanoid who looks like shes about to lay eggs.

She may actually have ingested gravel. If she has gravel in her stomach, she will not eat.

I would fridge her to aid in passing the gravel, if it is a gravel obstruction. Leave her in the fridge for a few days and see if anything comes out.

Your previous post "Help me Please!" advice on the fridging procedure has been provided:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56643

Earth worms are no good from the garden i like to know what my axis eat so i buy the worm from a pet shop least i know they wont get ill from cats weeing on the soil and ferterlizers that people use to kill weeds.

I happily feed my axolotl with worms /slugs/ woodlice etc from my garden. I don't use any chemicals so feel there is no problems.

Cats weeing on soil should not have a detrimental effect on an earthworm. Urine has been used historically (animal and human) as an antiseptic.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back