Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blind, silly or canabalistic axies?

Heorte

Reaction score
I notice that when feeding my axies they wont really seem to notice the food in front of their faces and it seems like they accidentally mistake each other for food (they've never taken anothers limb though only tips of tails or tips of the gills), they've never been starved and their diet is very varied, it seems like they hunt for their food by smell, they cant be cannibalistic as they only do it when looking for the food in the tank.

I'd say they were blind BUT
I put some mosquito larvae in their tank and both of the axies have stared up at it before swimming for it

and they couldn't be territorial as their tank is very big and it can be hard to find them in it, what I've been doing is pushing them apart if they get to close with a sanitized straw that I use for spreading their food

they cant be hostile as they happily rest next to each other all the time

whats up with them????!!!? =[

gr33neyes

Reaction score
You've sort of already answered your own question......they hunt by smell.
With regards to the mosquito larvae they may have been more aware of your movements above the waters surface and when they looked up at you, saw and smelt the larvae.
Biting chunks out of each other is normal, if something brushes against their lips or nose they will grab at it. I would imagine its a natural instinct.

They're not blind but their eyesight isn't the best after all they prefer darker more shaded areas so good eyesight isn't a must in bad light, however good sense of smell is.

Its pretty pointless pushing them apart with a straw when you see them get close to each other or else you would need to sit up all night long watching them, they are most active at night.
Therefore there is nothing wrong with your axies, they are exhibiting normal (tank) behaviour.

They don't mean to bite each other, I think its more a case of 'I smell food, what was that that just moved?, quick grab it, oh sorry mate its your foot lol

Heorte

Reaction score
ah good as long as they're ok. thank you
I got all worked up and stressed and panicked

gr33neyes

Reaction score
You will soon get used to them biting each other. Its normal to them, they think anything that moves is food. However I still jump when I see mine have a quick nip at each other. I'm always afraid to look in case there are body bits hanging off, but they are always ok.

Heorte

Reaction score
I panicked because one bit the others face to the point were ones lower jaw was in the others mouth
but he did spit him out though. usually they spend most the day near each other.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1