help my newts arnt eating

lilpelk

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi well yesterday i got my 5 newts they are eastern red spotted newts and i tried feeding them yesterday they did eat and today at 8pm i tried again with no luck. iv been trying to feed them earth worms but its not working. i here they they usually love earth worms but what mine do the newts walk right over them or just back up plz help

AW: help my newts arnt eating

Hello lil,

give your new newts time to aclimate.
And normally they don`t eat every day.
It is enough when you feed them once or twice a week.

Greetings Ingo

Hi

As Ingo says they just need time to settle down in their new home, so it may well be several days before they eat, so dont worry too much.

Ben

Are you offering the newts whole small earthworms (are they small enough?) or chopped pieces of worm? RSN need small bite-sized food. Are the newts in water or on land?

Ok i have chopped up earth worms and they where the perfect size for them to be cut up.and they are efts so i have them on land the worms will start to die and smell so i take them out

Small terrestrial caudates are notoriously difficult to feed. In water, newts rely on smell, in addition to movement, to identify what is "food". On land, they make less use of smell and are more dependent on movement as a cue to finding their food. If the pieces of worm aren't wiggling, the newts may not recognize them as food. If they still haven't eaten the pieces in a couple of days, try putting the worm bits on a toothpick and holding the food in front of the newts, at eye level or lower. This may take patience, but they should eventually eat this way, though it may take several attempts until they accept it.

Your other options would be to get live flightless fruit flies or pinhead crickets or bugs from outdoors.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back