salt water bath

hanniebumblebee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
hannie bee
Hey, please could some one tell me how to do a salt bath... How do you take the axie out the tank to move it to the bath. Miso obviously has fungus on her gills but i dont know how to bath her :( help. oh um could some one tell me how much salt to put in? i dont want to hurt her gills apparently it can make them bleed x

You need approximately 2 teaspoons of salt to 1 litre of dechlorinated water.
In a clean plastic or glass container.
Depending on the size of your axie, i use a net to catch mine others use there hands.Thouroughly cleaned without soap of course.

10/15 mins in the bath 2-3 times a day.No longer as this will cause them irritation and might damage their skin.

Hi Hannie,

A good way to move the axolotl is to put a container into the tank and gently nudge her into it, then use the container to scoop her out. This all needs to be done slowly so as not to frighten her. Please note also that if she does get frightened, you should not chase her around the tank, but wait for her to calm down and then try again.

Here is an article on salt baths: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml

Good luck,

-Eva

Saltbath treatment is:
2=3 teaspoons of uniodised table salt/sea salt or aquarium/tonic salt per litre of dechlorinated water.
Make sure to dissolve the salt. If using the aquarium/chunky salt, crush it so it dissolves easier.
Then add your axolotl to the bath - s/he may find it a little irritating at first. Cover with lid. Ensure it stays in minimum of 10 minutes, but no longer than 15minutes.
Saltbaths need to be done twice a day during the week (or 3 times per day if able).
If fridging the axolotl make sure to put the saltbath in the fridge so it's the same temperature as it's fridging container to avoid fluctuating temperatures which can be just as stressful to the axie.
Empty the saltbath after each use and make up a fresh one each time.
You could also try picking the fungus off with tweezers if you feel confident enough to do so without harming your axolotl, a steady hand is needed though.
Continue with the saltbaths for around 4-5 days after all the fungus has dissapeared.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back