Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

newt sticks on the wall

leoga

Reaction score
i just did a research in the library, that said fire belly newt will stay 80% of his time in the water...
unsell, he is very sick...

mine will stick on the wall till super dry, like dead...and if i push it in to the water, he will rush out as if the water ishurting him, when he is inside the water, his skin is full of bubble...

ihave done all i can to make sure the water is good...

including take the water from the fish shop i bought him( where all the newt life happyly there )...

any help please...thanks alot

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
Re: stick on the wall

Hello Leoga!

Caudatadude28 is right about cynops staying out of the water for a couple of years when they are young. With that being said, there are several other reasons why they leave the water. The temp being to warm, water conditions, stress, etc. Like caudatadude28 said, look through the different cynops care sheets to get an idea of what you have and read it over several times. Most of the time the pet store is the worst place for newts so don't assume their water is good. Do water changes with aged treated water and make sure he is cool. Also make sure your cover is on tight too!
If it is a chinese fire belly (which I think you have) there are times where healthy fire bellies like being out of the water! But I do believe its because of stress . . . just read the care sheet and make sure you meeting the req.

Good luck
Mitch

leoga

Reaction score

mine is smaller than 10 cm,i tnink its about 8+ cm...

not really sure what speciesi is mine either...
if she keep hang out of the water, does she still eat inside the water?

thanks...

oya, i m sorry if i post some thread for more than 1 time, it always give me error or something like that when i post, and i cant find the thread i post, so i assume that it fail to postand i post again...

sorry for my ignorance

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Many of your questions are answered in:
FAQ

If the newt stays out of the water, it will certainly not eat in the water. I would recommend either (1) a terrestrial setup (soil terrarium, or wet paper towel setup) OR (2) a very shallow semi-aquatic tank with lots of islands for the newt to sit on. In either case, the newt will need food on land, not in water. Here are some ideas of various kinds of food (pellets and dry food will probably NOT be good enough):
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1