Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Beef Heart Strips

Plonk

Reaction score
I feed my 2 axies 14 beef heart strips each once a week. I have just read that this is really a sometimes food. But that is what I was told to feed them ages ago from a thread from here. So what should I be feeding them?? They would be almost 9 months old.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They need a food that contains vitamins and minerals. Meat does not. Earthworms are good. A good quality (fresh enough to still have vitamins) carnivore pellet food is also good.

Plonk

Reaction score
Thanx for that. I had trouble finding earth worms when I first got them. Looks like Im on the hunt for them again.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Best place I have found are bait/tackle shops (for fishermen).

-Eva

little high

Reaction score
I had the same issue with finding a good supply of earthworms.
Then I found Bunnings, $27.00 garden worm booster box 500 worms and an $8 worm farm container. Viola grow your own food, feed the worms some of your kitchen scraps and you also get an organic liquid fertilizer in the bottom of the container which can be used on your garden and indoor plants.
My fat little axies love there worms.

You could also try you local pet store they sometimes have small containers with the crickets for around $6 but very small worms and very few.

Good luck :D Nat

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1