Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

To Move or Not Move

little high

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm relatively new to all this, but I am the proud and loving owner of 4 beautiful axies. My sad sad proplem is that, my partner has been offered a job unexpectatly too good to pass up. It means I would be moving to Mackay in central-northern Queensland, a whole days drive away. I was wondering how I could transport my gorgeous family with me. If there was a way.
Or am I better off giving them to a loving home with all there awesome gear?
How big a container does an axie need?
What is the minumum size container or bucket an axie can live in for 2-3mths maximmum?

Just a few questions if anyone can help me brainstorm so I can make a better informed decision. I really don't wanna leave them behind.

Is a 2hour road trip in a cooler just as bad as a 12 hour one? (I could do water changes along the way even)
Any sugestions apreciated cheers Nat

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Nat,

Brainstorming...Here we go!

Transporting:

- I would put each axie in a container of their own (ie. Icecream container/tupperware/storage tubs/etc) or if pushed for containers perhaps put two in the same container. Ensure the containers are secure with a sealable lid.
- Arrange and place all containers in a large esky (I note that the weather in Queensland is not hot so the tub temperatures should be fine).
- If the weather is hot, I would put a couple of ice packs in the esky to keep it cool in there.

I don't think a water change during the trip will be necessary.

Temporary Home in Mackay:

A very large storage tub or two large storage tubs are a cheap option and would serve as good temporary homes for a couple of months? The larger the tub the better for water change maintenance.

On Tubs ;):

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49415

If you use small tubs or buckets, the water would need to be changed 100% each day and each axolotl would need it's own individual container - don't put two together in a small container.

Cheers Jacq.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think what Jacq describes would work. Here's an alternative idea. Move the axies and their tank to a friend/neighbor a couple of weeks before you leave. If you move the tank and accessories carefully, you can maintain most the "cycling" that that tank has gone through.

Then go ahead with your move (it's a lot of work, even w/o axolotls!). Then after you are settled, make a long road trip back to visit your old friends and to pick up the axolotls and tank. Move them as Jacq described, but when you arrive set the tank up right away. If you can keep the substrate wet on the trip, this will reduce the cycling issues, and the axies can perhaps go back in their tank right away.

The main problem with this idea is that you'd have to make a return visit - long trip! The advantage is less worry trying to keep amphibians alive while doing 10 million other things you have to do when you move.

el301

Reaction score
If you're after a good tub for temporary housing, we used ones available at Bunnings to house ours when we moved. They're quite large (25-50L from memory), have a wide-opening screw lid on the top, and an attachable tap fixture on the side, allowing for easy (and less disruptive) water changes.

little high

Reaction score
:rolleyes: Hmmm

Thanks for the advice guys, what you describe jacq was how I was thinking.
The question now is how much stress would a 10 hr road trip put on the little guys?

My boyfreind says to much stress and it's cruel and all the rest. (he is giving away a massive healthy 4ft tropical set-up and his breeding tanks to my brother) :( BUT I LOVE MY LITTLE BABIES.
Iam so very attached to them, but I do want them alive and happy.

If anyone thinks that a move this big would be stressfull for them, let me know. Personal opinions and all let me have it, because I really need to make a decision yesterday.

Cheers Nat

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whether or not it's cruel depends on several factors. One, will you be driving through directly (minimum transit time from tank to tank)? Will you be able to keep them at a nice cool temperature throughout the trip? (This could mean that you could never park the car/truck and get out because a car heats up very quickly in the sun, even in cool weather.)

Axolotls do survive shipping, which is certainly stressful, but they never die unless they get delayed or get hot. This wouldn't be any worse.

Have you ever made a long move like this before? If not, talk to someone who has, as there may be some details that you aren't thinking of right now regarding transit time.

One other point: be sure to pack them in the car/truck in such a way that the water cannot "slosh". I've transported axies for short distances, and this is always a problem. The water will move WILDLY, even if the vehicle is driven in a slow careful manner. The container needs to be relatively full, and have a leak-proof LID.

little high

Reaction score
The decision has been made. I can't part with my axie's and it's imposible to take them with me at first as we will be all over for the first few weeks when we get up there, (days here days there).

So the plan is to transport them to my sisters around the corner. Then once I am totally settled in one house up there. Buy a new tank and then fly down and pick-up the axies and there filter and such and fly home. I understand they would be able to fly I hope, I don't really want to drive them all that way with sloshing water. It'd be a much shorter time in the air then in the car.

Might be a stupid question can axie's fly with me on a plane or would I have to do a road trip?
And how would I take them on a plane? Has anyone doen it?
Cheers Nat

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Most airlines don't allow animals in the cabin. You can call the airline and ask.

little high

Reaction score
I'll have to consider all options so if anyone out there is near to the gold coast and can pick them up in the next week let me know.:(
My axie's were saved from pet shops that were not looking after them if someone loves em as much as me I would rather them in a totally loving home together.

Cheers Nat

COMPLETE SET-UP
1X Wild Type Axolotyl (8-9mths old black with green spot on face)
1X Leucistic Axolotyl (18mths old re-growing her tail)
1X Leucistic Axolotyl (unsure of his age definately tell he's a boy but dosen't seem to have dark toes at all, he is also regrowing tip of tail and gills)
1X Golden Albino (aprox 12mths old has fungus and currently undergoing salt baths 2 day and is in fridge at 7 degrees)
4ftX1.5ftX1.5ft Tank with stand.
External Canister Filter
Aquarium Light
2 Bannana Lillies
1 Yellow Lillie
Many Bunches of Elodea
Floating Pond Weed
Rocks and White sand to cover bottom of tank
Worm Farm for food & 1kg Frozen Chicken Liver in portions
Tweezers for feeding along with cleaning tools etc.

Attachments

• P8130118.jpg
    P8130118.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 01-08-08_1220.jpg
    01-08-08_1220.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 163
  • P8090102.jpg
    P8090102.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 143
  • P8130123.jpg
    P8130123.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 148
  • P7160040.jpg
    P7160040.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 156
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1