Australia
Okay so.
Today i went to an aquarium shop.
They had one axolotl,
he was quite small, with tiny gills.
He looked a bit sad :(
Anyway.
I bought myself some axolotl pellets and blood worms,
a half pot, a thermometer and a testing kit.

So i came home, put the pot in.
Mudkipz loved it! He was in straight away.
Anyway.
I did my pH testing and my results are attatched.
Is this right?

I got blood worms too.
I went to give him a cube and they like, exploded everywhere in the water.
Is that suppose to happen?
The axolotl pellets i got him are Crude protein 48% Crude Fat 9% Crude Fibre 5% crude Moisture 8%
Is this okay to feed him as a staple?
And also, how do i feed him these as i am on a pebble base.

I asked about pebbles vs sand and each person suggested pebbles.
So what should i do there?
They said the sand will get in his gills and make him unable to breathe :(

I really dont know what to do anymore,
and my mum only listens to the petshops,
not the forum

Help :(

Attachments

• 70dx5l.jpg
    70dx5l.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 126
Hello, it can be very confusing when it comes to what pet stores say. So heres what I can tell you.
The Axolotl pellets sound fine and as for the bloodworms, they are very messy. Most people have a feeding tank or a feeding area (slate of some sort) to deal with the mess.
It's hard to tell with the testing kit, but it should have instructions in there somewhere, so I'd recommend looking for those.
As for your pebble base, I'd switch it for sand as soon as possible. The axolotl will try to eat these and it can result in death. The sand shouldn't harm him as long as its 'play' sand, as in the stuff thats not got salt. And make sure its not builders sand either, as this is just as dangerous.
Pet shops usually don't have much experience with these sort of thing so its always best to get a second opinion. Thats all the help I can give you, good luck.

Your pH and nitrite are fine.

Your ammonia is WAY too high. And your nitrates are too low.

But judging by the fact that you have an ammonia reading, and no nitrite or nitrate reading, I'm guessing your tank has not been cycled. However, having an ammonia reading is the first step in the cycling process. I would advise doing a water change immediately though, since your ammonia level is so high. It should be at 0 ppm.

The pebbles are bad as they will cause impaction. When your axolotl feeds he gulps in food....and what ever is close by, i.e the stones. This in turn can block the axolotl insides and cause hideous problems and possible death. Sand on the other hand if it is gulped in tends to be wafted out through the gills ( looks bizarre when you first see it). I also think for cleaning purposes sand is far easier as stones tend to trap debris between each other.
Your water seems to be cycling so daily 20% dechlorinated water changes will be necessary till the ammonia drops to zero .
As you have found the blood worms are messy...live earth worm are far better and easier.;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back