Tank Confusions - about breeding

coichards

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I need some help setting up my Axies.
First, I have one 2ft tank and one 1ft tank. I want to get a male and female to breed but don't want them doing it 24-7. Am I better putting them both in the 2 ft one and seperating them with a divider and keeping the 1ft for the babies OR putting one in the 2ft, one in the 1 ft and putting them together to breed
:confused:

Re: Tank Confusions

I have never breed them yet . This might be wrong but this is what I would do. Put the male in the 1 foot tank . Put the female in the 2 foot tank. Then put the male in with her. When you get eggs put the divider in and move the eggs over to the other side. They wont need half the tank. But that is what I think would easy. I'am sure some one else will let you know as well what they think.

Great Idea
But I would still like some ideas from people who actively breed or mate their Axies
:supercool:

A 2ft tank isn't big enough for 2 adult axolotls I'm afraid. You can put babies in it but I certainly wouldn't expect 2 adults to be comfortable in that. What are you keeping them in at the moment?

Well they are only young (16cm) and i don't know about the sex yet
at the moment they are in the two ft tank

Really you shouldn't be looking at breeding from them until they are around 18 months old, this gives them a chance to mature fully and reach a good adult size.

As they get older you may want to look at putting them into a tank around the 3ft size.
I keep 2 females in a 3ft tank. It gives them plenty of room to have time out from each other if they wish.

A 1ft tank will be ok for a short while for any babies, but you will need to separate them as they grow so you will need to either divide the tank up or find more containers.

You also need to have a source of live food for the babies, this can be expensive depending on how many babies you wish to raise and your source of the live food.

Have you thought about what you will do with the babies? Are you going to keep them all?

There is a lot to think about. Use the time while they are still young to do as much research as you can.

http://www.axolotl.org/

http://www.caudata.org/cc

Read through the 2 links I have provided above. You will find lots of information here on breeding axolotls.

Thanks for the help, i have decided not to breed them yet, probally never.
I heard from a friend that live food is very expensive if you have a lot of babies
;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back