Illness/Sickness: Axolotl has developed black toes

snoopy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have an axolotl that in the past 24hrs has developed black toes/feet and a black mark under his mouth. I have had my axolotl for about a month. I have been doing water changes every week. The ph is at 7 to 7.2. I have a filter that hangs on the side of the tank, which I have turned down low this morning, (I thought maybe the flow may of been to high and he was stressing). I noticed one of his gills where up (from what I have read this is a sign of stress) so I am hoping by turning down the flow it reduces his stress. I have been feeding him bloodworms and pellets (he is not fused on pellets). Is there anything that I am doing wrong?
My main concern is that he has developed these black toes/feet is this normal or treatable?
Can anyone possible advice me on what to do?:confused::confused:

Hi Snoopy,

The toes go black in pale axolotls to indicate maturity.

The black mark under the mouth may be natural markings - does your axie have black eyes?

If you could post a photo though, that would be helpful.

Hi,
His eyes are orange/red colour, I shall try and post a photo tomorrow I am new at this and still trying to work out this site. I will get there eventually.

The photo that is under your user name of the blackness on the toes is exactly the same.

My axolotl is a sort of gold /white (spot) colour, he was bread in australia.

Other than his black feet and the bit under his mouth there is no other black. He had no black on him until 24hrs ago.

If this is normal that is fine but my daughter would be heart broken if he is sick. He is a real memeber of the family (what a thing to say)

Thanks for helping

He is a real memeber of the family (what a thing to say)

It's te same here, too - even friends who come to visit spend time at the tanks, saying "hello". You're in good company. :D

-Eva

Also make sure to test the tank water properly, especially for ammonia and nitrite, as if either of these is high,it will make your axie ill, and could even be fatal. Both readings should be near 0. I have an axie same colour as yours, and his toes first turned a colour of light grey, then dark grey and then black, but it took at least a month

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire... +1
    Back