My Firebelly Newt won't eat

FireBelly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

So I just got 3 firebelly newts a few days ago. I had them before and fed them only Reptomin but the woman at the reptile shop told me to feed blood worms which sounded like a better idea.

Two of them are chuncks and have no problem eating a ton of blood worms. One however is rail thin, you can see his whole skeleton basically all his ribs and his pelvis (sad). And he won't eat the blood worms, even when I dangle them in front of his face with chopsticks. He won't eat this dry food I got him either.

I know there are other things you can feed them but why would the other two eat fine and he won't eat at all? I feel like he's going to die. He swims around fine but like I said is so skinny.

The water is normal temp. Do they sometimes need shade to be happy cause the aquarium is in the light a lot.

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sounds like a fussy eater. i had a similar issue with herbert (one of my C orientalis) he's still quite thin but does eat. i just had to try a few different foods he loves chopped earthworms and chopped waxworms but wont touch bloodworms. also are u using dead or live bloodworms because some newts wont eat food that isnt moving under its own power. my advice try some new things maybe get some more shade and hiding places and you said u only got them a few days ago so it might just not have settled in yet. if it hasnt eaten in a few weeks move it to a tank on its own it could be a stress issue of living with others

Hello Firebelly and welcome!

Some newts will eat (or can be made to) dry food or blocks of bloodworms, however many will only eat certain things and movement is key. When you "hand feed" a newt, especially one that is so new and skinny, patience is a must. In the beginning it might be extremely hard to feed it by hand. Just like spendday said, I would get some small earthworms, live blackworms, or live bloodworms and put it right in front of him. Once he starts eating and gets normal again, then try the hand feeding/frozen food. Its always a good idea to give them live food once in awhile if not all the time, it is better for the newts.

You should move him to a separate container until he is eating regularly. The problem with you feeding all of them is that even if he will eat, the other newts will come in and horde the food before the skinny one can get any. Stress could be another key factor, the newt could have been mistreated longer/worse than the rest and is not is good shape. This makes them not eat so making sure the water is cool and clean with plenty of hiding spots, this will go a long way to getting him comfortable and ready to eat again.

What do you mean by "the aquarium is in the light a lot"? If it is the room light that is fine but if it sunlight directly on tank that is a BIG no no.

If you haven't already looked this over front to back, here is the caresheet again.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_orientalis.shtml

Good luck!

Mitch

Thanks so much guys for the advice. So I moved him into his own tank which is smaller and put in only a little water so he basically can just walk to get food. It's in the closet where it's darker, cooler, and much quieter. Last night I put in a chopped earthworm and a clump of live blood worms. This morning they were all still there and wiggling around.

I don't have a hiding place for him yet. I can pick one up tonight. I live in Los Angeles so I have easy access to all types of live foods. He's like a baby though so I can't give him crickets yet but I'll keep trying new stuff. Are there really tasty frozen foods that might work better than worms?

I will also keep trying to feed him with forceps. Even though the blood worms and nightcrawlers are all really wiggly, he won't eat them. It gets frustrating cause I feel like I'm doing everything yet he's withering away.

Do they need gravel on the bottom to feel comfortable? What other things would help make him less stressed if that is why he isn't eating? Live plants? I'll try anything I just don't want this cool guy to die.

PS I read the guide, thanks.

Large gravel (large enough so that he can't swallow it) might make him feel more comfortable, plus it will give the bloodworms a place to hide. They'll last a little longer that way. Live plants are a good idea - even just buying a cheap bunch of elodea and sticking it in there so that some floats near the top would be good.

Well thanks for the advice but he was dead when I got home from work today. He must have been sick or something. Such a bummer. Good thing his two bros are fine. I'm still sad.

Well thanks for the advice but he was dead when I got home from work today. He must have been sick or something. Such a bummer. Good thing his two bros are fine. I'm still sad.
sory for your loss sounds like u did the best u could. i hope this doesnt put u off keeping newts

Yeah I don't feel as bad because I do think I tried everything I could. I still enjoy keeping the other two. They are so cool. I'll have to get em a new buddy at some point.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back