Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Typical Newt Behavior?

aghiowa

Reaction score
Hi all. So I am a problem solver, and will pick away at something until it gets fixed. But I am realizing maybe I'm not going to "fix" this one, because maybe it's not a problem at all.

Basically, my CFB newt stays hidden all day, completely immovable as far as I can tell. I assume it moves around a bit at night, because the earthworm pieces I put in the tank disappear, but I'm not even sure of that. Is this normal newt behavior? Will I have an invisible pet for the next 10 years? I keep thinking maybe something is wrong with the tank setup, or the water, or the temperature, or the food. But, in all honesty, is this what newts do all day?

If not, I am doing something wrong still and need to change something (although I have no idea what). If this is typical newt, then I will enjoy what peeks of his adorable little self I can get, and quit worrying!

Angela

FredAugust.jpg

freves

Reaction score
I think that maybe the reason that your Cynops is hiding so much is because you have proportionally lots of land area in your enclosure. I remember seeing a pic of your setup in another thread. It is very nice however for Cynops orientalis you do not need all of that land area. Also, I am not sure how bright the lighting is but that bromeliad is going to need fairly bright light to do well. Newts in turn generally do not appreciate very strong lighting so this may be another reason why it hides all the time. If it were me I would add some climbing branches and investigate a small treefrog of some sort to put into that enclosure and setup another enclosure for the Cynops. A 10 gallon aquarium half filled with water, a float, low light requiring live plants such as Java moss, a sponge filter, and either a sand or appropriately sized gravel substrate will make for a nice, attractive display tank. The newt should also be much more active as well. Just some random thoughts.
Chip

aghiowa

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I was also wondering about the setup not being very appropriate for the species. I will see about getting a different tank for my CFB newt.

I don't want to see my current tank go to waste though. How would a FBT work in this space? I think the water might be a bit deep... I was just thinking that if I got a tree frog (they're cool) the water would not really ever be used, yes?

Okay, if you all had this tank (pic below), what would you ideally put in it (keeping in mind I'm on a tight budget :D )?
10FinishedProductwithoutBackground.jpg

Last edited:

eldaldo

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with FBTs but I do have some experience with Chinese Firebelly newts. If your newt was purchased from a pet store it is very likely that it is wild caught and that could be part of why it hides so much. That may change after a while. Especially if you train it to be hand fed. Then it will come to the glass whenever you are near the tank and beg for food. I also agree with Foster that you probably have too much land, and if you decreased the land proportions of your tank the newt would probably go aquatic.

freves

Reaction score
I need to edit what I said earlier. When I posted I was thinking that your tank had much more land area than it actually does. If it were me I would still pull the plants and add a float, some Java moss, and maybe a pothos cutting. Eldaldo is correct about giving it some more time as well.
Chip

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
I'd be careful with earthworm bits - this species feeds only or largely in water - un eaten pices will sink into the rockd and decay. Live blackworms introduced into water will likely get him hunting and keep him busy - always a chance of sand ingestion, but I've not seen that with this species.

Fire bellied toads will co-exist with your newt, utilize same general habitat and won't compete for most foods.

FredLikesNewts

Reaction score
I'd be careful with earthworm bits - this species feeds only or largely in water - un eaten pices will sink into the rockd and decay. Live blackworms introduced into water will likely get him hunting and keep him busy - always a chance of sand ingestion, but I've not seen that with this species.

Fire bellied toads will co-exist with your newt, utilize same general habitat and won't compete for most foods.

Fire bellied toads will not co exist with your newt.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

aghiowa

Reaction score
Don't worry...my two fire bellied amphibian species are separated into their own tanks. Those toads snap at anything that moves, including my tweezers - I know they'd snap at a newt! :)

The newt is in a new, much more aquatic setup, but continues to hang out just above the water line, hiding, happily eating earthworm pieces. Guess that's just his way...

Angela

Alexis

Reaction score
10FinishedProductwithoutBackground.jpg
[/quote]

In this (nice) setup you have there I have some questions.
1) How do you prevent the water to get stagnant?
2) How often do you change the water?
3) Are you being successful with the plants?
4) Are there any no-no plants?

Thank you in advance.
Alexis

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
Hi Angela!

I must say that my newt has displayed similar interests in land areas and hanging out just at the water line hiding in the plants.

Its funny because when I first got him he would never leave the water, he would always be swimming on the bottom. Then one day he climbed out on his cork float filled of java moss and never left! Water conditions and temp. were good. I was worried for a while but he was eating and seemed healthy so I decided to let him be. After about a month of his terrestrial habits I took him out of his tank and put him into a more swallow "terrestrial happy" tub. Within hours he was in the swallow water and stayed there for days! Again, there was no difference in water quality. I just think this is want he wants.

Now he chooses between the land and the water equally which if fine by me, as long as he eats (which he does in or out of water) and is healthy thats all I care about. Sometimes you got to give the newts what they want. ;)

It does sound like he is where he wants to be, and he looks good. Good luck!
(Sorry I assumed its a "he")

Mitch

ferret_corner

Reaction score

In this (nice) setup you have there I have some questions.
1) How do you prevent the water to get stagnant?
2) How often do you change the water?
3) Are you being successful with the plants?
4) Are there any no-no plants?

Thank you in advance.
Alexis[/QUOTE]

HI Alexis I have a more aquatic set up but similar items.

1. I have an in the tank filter. Its air pump driven so the pump doesn't get hot, has no moving parts if (and they have) get inside.

2. I use a turkey baster and siphon off excess food and clumps of debris every couple of days.

3. I bought low light hardy plants and use a plant light from about 8 am to 10 pm. The plants are doing fine.

4. I've never heard of any no-no plants for fish. Most "no-no" I've heard of are plants that take over the tank or are a danger to the natural fauna if they were to be thrown into native waters. I'm sure there are some but if you buy plants from fish and amphibian keepers I'm sure you'll be purchasing safe ones!

Currently in my tanks I have peacock moss, naja grass, marimo mossballs, and another kind of moss whose name escapes me!

Sharon

aghiowa

Reaction score
Yes, what Sharon said...

Low light plants, air pump driven filter, and water changes frequently. I have since changed the setup a bit. I have taken out the filter, lowered the water level, moved some plants around and taken the newt out and put in fire bellied toads instead. They are enjoying it more than the newt did. I have the newt in another tank with sand substrate, anubias (sp?), java fern, floating pothos, and rocks for getting out of the water. So far it sits on top of the rocks. Sigh. :)

Angela

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1