Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Options

bobberly1

Reaction score
I've been keeping many fish for a long time and I'm looking into herps. I've decided I'm going to get Chinese Firebellies. Would a ten gallon work for this? I also want a terrestrial species. Is there anything active that would fit in a ten gallon? I could keep one in a twenty too, but space is tight and I don't want to sarifice space for an inatimate object. I'm sorry to ask such a eneral question, but my head is spinning with all of these possibilities. Thanks in advance!

I also want something a little out of the ordinary, that's the way I've always been. Nothing too rare, just non-axolotl and tigers if possible.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can keep a couple fire bellies (aquatic) in a ten-gallon. As far as a terrestrial species goes, a marbled salamander could live in a ten gallon, I think.

spendday

Reaction score
You can keep a couple fire bellies (aquatic) in a ten-gallon. As far as a terrestrial species goes, a marbled salamander could live in a ten gallon, I think.

i wouldnt keep a marbled in a 10 gallon as far as im aware there is to possiblitity of them out growing a 10 gallon. u could keep something like a dusky salamander in a 10 gallon

otherwise yeah cynops orientalis (chinese fire belly newts) make great intro into keeping amphibians and u could get 2 in a 10 gallon

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Last edited:

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Nathan is correct - Marbled sals are small and in my experience, max out at about 4 inches. The issue with these sals is that they tend to be very shy.

Boberly, if you are looking for an 'active' terrestrial sal, you may want to consider a tiger. They are moles and do burrow, but they can also be quite active and appear to 'beg' for food as a conditioned response to feeding. A solitary tiger should be fine in a 10 gallon tank.

slowfoot

Reaction score
If you are looking for an active salamander (that you'll be able to observe most of the time), then I would definitely go with the fire belly newts. I'd also agree with Nathan that a tiger is one of the most active of the terrestrial salamanders, but they'll still be less active than the newts. Other terrestrial salamanders - especially if they're wild caught - will probably hide a lot.

But maybe I'm biased: I've kept many terrestrial and aquatic species, and the aquatic were way more fun. And easier to keep!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'm with everyone here. How could you rule out tigers? They're by far the most active and interesting terrestrial salamander I've had. They're like slimy little puppies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!