I have a really stupid question...

cheese

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, this is a really stupid question, but, well, where do you all buy your salamanders. I am clueless as to where to go. I have considered buying online, but that is quite a pricey matter. I live on the peninsula, about 45 minutes south of San Francisco if anyone is from around here. Everyone has all these exotic species that I have failed to find on the web or in shops. I searched the threads and couldn't find a similar thread. Sorry if it is a repeat. I'm just at a loss! :confused:

There are many breeders on this site who may be able to help you- check the "for sale" section of the forum- often times there are numerous CB species available.

Good Luck!

Buying newts/salamanders anywhere but at your local pet store or local swap meetings is going to be costly. If you buy from a online store or your local pet store, 9 times out of 10 you are getting a WC (wild caught) animal. This is a cheaper choice but usually you get a highly stressed out newt/salamander that now has a short life ahead of it.

Many members on here breed and sell the newts/salamanders you want. Sure the price is sometimes a little steep but consider what you are getting. These breeders/members breed these newts/salamander CB (captive breed) and raise them, taking great care of them along the way. The cost of shipping is the expensive because you need to over night the newts. But this way you know what your getting.

Find some newts/salamanders that you what. Research and decide which ones you can keep and give the best care and then find the members that breed/carry them. If they are not for sale at the moment, just wait. Many people are more than willing to sell them if you ask, and if they can't they either know someone that does or will know when some will be ready.

Please do your research BEFORE you start asking about newts for sale. Know what you want, know how to take care of it, know what you can handle and afford, then go after it.

Good luck,

Mitch

I lived in Berkely for a while, and had 2 snakes at the time. I know that there is a large Herpitology society in that part of Cali. You may want to contact some of them to see what they know. Definitely do your research. I didn't and have learned the hard way there is a lot of time (learning, and finding items), money (getting a good set up) and care (feeding, cleaning etc.) in keeping these cut little guys.

Good luck! = )

~rachel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back