Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Turtle Food as Axolotl Food

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for a definitive low-down on the suitability of turtle food for axolotls. I'm assuming it is inappropriate but would like to know more. Input please?

Thanks,

-Eva

ellenant

Reaction score
I think I have red somewhere that is has too many
carbohydrates and fibres, because they also use
plant material for turtle food.
It is harder to digest for axolotl, because they are
carnivores and no omnivores.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I assume you mean 'turtle bites', which are akin to 'newt bites'?

I just stay away from packaged food all together.

blueberlin

Reaction score
Hi Kaysie m'dear,

I really have no idea. I kind of imagined that turtle food is little pellets, maybe like rabbit food in shape (and color?) and somehow I have got the idea that it floats. I honestly just wanted to know about it because people keep asking and I would like to be able to answer.

-Eva

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, as far as caudates (and turtles too!), the less processed the food the better. My turtles eat earthworms and other random goodies, pretty much the same thing as the sals.

blueberlin

Reaction score
So I have a comnparison now between turtle pellets and axolotl pellets (translated from German):

Turtle food:
39% Raw protein
4.5% Raw fat
2% Raw fiber
15% Raw ash
9% Water
3.3% Calcium

Additional ingredients:
Vit. A 29550 IE/kg
D3 1845 IE/kg
E 100 mg/kg
L-Ascorbyl-2-polyphosphat e137mg/kg
Lecithin
L-Lysin-Monohydrochloride
Plus colorings and antioxidants.

Axolotl pellets:
46% Raw protein
16% Raw fat
1% Raw fiber
11.1% Raw ash

Additional ingredients:
Vit. A 12.000 (I.E.)
Vit. D3 1.600 (I.E.)
Vit. E 200 mg
Vit. C stable 160 mg
All vitamins in the B-Group in appropriate amounts

-Eva

caleb

Reaction score
I use 'Reptomin' sticks for feeding newts (though not exclusively), and have done for many years- I was recommended them by a well-known UK newt breeder.

These were marketed as suitable for turtles and amphibians until recently. They currently only mention turtles on the packaging, but I don't know if the formulation's changed...

blueberlin

Reaction score
I had initially thought that the turtle sticks would not be appropriate, but now I am actually tending toward the opposite belief.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
After the nutritional breakdown, I'd agree. They may be okay, as long as fed as part of a varied diet.

oceanblue

Reaction score
I too agree the nutrient mix of the Turtle food looks fine on paper. It will have quite a lot lower calorific value because of the lower fat content but looks fairly well balanced.

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
I feed my Squishy turtle food. They are tiny brown sticks that float on top of the water, she loves them and that is all she eats other than earth worms. Maybe this is helpful?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1