What is the best way to start cycling your tank?

FireBelly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you buy good bacteria in an aquarium shop? Should you go with live plants and hope they come with good bacteria?

My filter has a "biological" filtration step. Is that good enough?

I would not buy any "bacteria" for a pet store, it would be a waste of your money. Buying live plants will go a long way in helping in filtering the tank.

When the filter has a "biological" filtration step, this is just a net material set in front of the return water that catches and grows bacteria in it.

The best way to get your tank started is just get water in there, get some plants, get a testing kit and put something in there. Test the water and change the water everyday. Don't take all the water out, just do partials. Over time the bacteria that breaks down the harmful toxins will begin to grow. There is really no "quick" way to do it.

Toward the bottom is some tips on faster starts. Read this beginning to end, it has everything you need on cycling
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

Mitch

Thanks Mitch. Damn change the water every day. Okay. I'll buy a test kit too.

I suggest leaving no uneaten food in there! and putting a little creature(newt i am guessing) into the tank. Then do regular testing and chnage the water every 1 or 2 days. Then after a couple of weeks start changing the water less. Until you are doing a water change every month or so.

I have found that my newts dont really dirty the tank that much as I feed then once every 3 days and make sure all uneaten food is removed.

The most important thing is to check the water. Pay attention to the ammonia levels.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back