Axolotl and mudpuppy

kclinton

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Karrie Clinton
Just went to the pet shop and saw that they had a mudpuppy and a axolotl in the same tank. The guy said sure you can keep the 2 of them in the same tank. They take the same care. I don't think he was right. Can some one let me know for sure.

The axolotl will end up being snack food for the mudpuppy.

Collectively, all the members of the Necturus genus are called mudpuppies.

Collectively, all the members of the Necturus genus are called mudpuppies.

Actually, I was under the impression that only Necturus maculosus is a "Mudpuppy" and that the collective name for the rest of the Necturus genus was "Waterdog" (yeah, I know, big difference).

I thought so. Can some one let me know were I kind find out how to care for one thanks.

I thought so. Can some one let me know were I kind find out how to care for one thanks.

Here is the Caudata Culture care-sheet for Mudpuppies (Necturus maculosus)- http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Necturus/N_maculosus.shtml

I'd check with your local fish and game to see if it is legal to keep them in the state of California, as some states have regulations concerning what can and cannot be kept- especially since the pet shop shouldn't even be selling axolotls in the first place.

Good Luck!:D

Nathan, I went back and edited my post to correct 'mudpuppy' and 'waterdog' and it didn't save! Thanks for clearing that up for everyone. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back