Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stressed Squishy

FOG

Reaction score
After quaranting my new Axolotl Squirtle, today I decided to put a partition in my bigger tank with Squishy in. I dont want them together yet as Squirtles a lot smaller, thought they could get used to each other this way until he was big enough. I've come home tonight to find Squishys gills facing really far forward. They've both eaten all their worms I left them. Could this lead to her getting ill? Or is just because I've changed her tank and she needs to get used to it? If it's going to cause a problem I'll split them again. I think they have enough room each. Squishy has one and a half ft x 1 ft of space, Squirtle has 1 ft x 1 ft, but hes only a few cm. They both have hides and plants, other than the partition, I cant see why they'd be so stressed.

inkozana

Reaction score
If you could show us a photo of the set-up it would be helpful :eek: I suppose Squirtle's (great name) stress could be caused by numerous things, have you checked your ammonia/nitrate/nitrite levels? How is the water flow in the tank? If the filter is in Squirtle's side of the tank he might be getting too much flow, where as Squishy might not be getting any.

His stress could also be due to a change in water temperature from his quarantine tank to his new tank with Squishy in it. He might be scared of Squishy's size, but I don't know much about axolotl psychology so I wouldn't rely on me for that advice :tongue:

FOG

Reaction score
I can't get a picture at the minute, I've lost the USB lead for my camera. The tank is cycled, all levels are normal. Temperatue is just above 20C, as both tanks always have been. The filter is in Squirtles side but he seems fine. Squishy, the bigger one, is the stressed looking one. I've changed her tank before and I've never noticed any signs of stress then. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the other axie. She took one look at him through the glass and swam into her cave.

inkozana

Reaction score
Sorry :tongue: Squishy and Squirtle are confusing names for my tiny little brain! Squishy might just be frightened, but as I said before I don't know much about axolotl psychology.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Aimmee,

Forward-pointing gills are a certain sign of stress and yes, stress can lead to your axoltol getting ill. The most common causes of stress are, as Stef mentioned, water flow and water quality.

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Do you heat the water? (Just above 20°C is acceptable, but the cooler the better, which is why I ask.)

Has the divider perhaps disrupted the water flow, so that the filter is not filtering properly, or the output flow is somehow increased (like hitting the divider and bouncing back)?

-Eva

FOG

Reaction score
Just tested my water, Ammonia 0, PH 7, Nitrate 20, Nitrite 0.2. Could the nitrite have anything to do with it? I don't heat the water, it's just room temp. There are holes in the divider so the filter can still work. The flow is pointed at the back of the tank and surrounded by plants, theres only a slight bit of movement but this isn't in Squishy half of the tank, hers is completely still as it's always been. Also, I've juts seen my smaller one jump out of the water, is this normal?

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just tested my water, Ammonia 0, PH 7, Nitrate 20, Nitrite 0.2. Could the nitrite have anything to do with it? I don't heat the water, it's just room temp. There are holes in the divider so the filter can still work. The flow is pointed at the back of the tank and surrounded by plants, theres only a slight bit of movement but this isn't in Squishy half of the tank, hers is completely still as it's always been.

Hi Aimee,

To test a theory, can I ask that you test quality parameters for both compartments of the tank? (i.e. Test Squishy's side of the tank and also test Squirtle's side of the tank).

How large are the holes in the divider? I'm thinking that maybe the water from Squishy's side of the tank isn't being drawn into the filter efficiently and this may be contributing to water quality issues for Squishy's compartment.

Also, I've juts seen my smaller one jump out of the water, is this normal?

Axolotls can and do jump on occasion. Juvenile axolotls will tend towards 'acrobatics' whereas adults will spend much of their time doing as little as possible.

If the axolotl is constantly and frantically jumping to get out of the water however, then this is an indicator that something is wrong.

PS. I love the names - very axolotly! ;)

FOG

Reaction score
Those readings were from Squishys side, just for you, I'll test both sides this evening :p. I've seen only seen Squirtle jump out once, so thats one less thing to worry about. Having watched them for a while yesterday I think Squishy's problem is the other axie. I just don't think she likes him. I'll give it a few days, if she hasn't come round to the idea I'll separate them. Starting to think children would be less hassle than this pair.

FOG

Reaction score
Just a quickie, not had chance to test water again yet due to work, but as I was feeding them tonight I found 2 old bloodworms floating on the water with what appeared to be fungus on. I removed them straight away, could this mean my axies will get fungus?

Last edited:

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
Oh no! I hope Squishy feels better soon! Post some new pics of both Squish and Squirtle so I can see how amazing they are lol, My Squishy is getting huge! and has become a very very picky eater, I am going "look a pellet, a pellet Squishy! Look a pellet! Look a pellet, eat a pellet!" and she looks at me like "Um I explicitly ordered worm for dinner tonight"

FOG

Reaction score
I'll get some up soon :) She seems to have calmed down now, her gills only go forward when she see's Squirtle. I'm hoping this changes so i don't have to buy another tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!