Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Baby food!

inkozana

Reaction score
My axolotl babies will hatch soon from their eggs, I would love to feed them live daphnia but I have no idea how to get it! Anyone have any advice? Brine shrimp would also be fine.
My alternative is finely chopped blackworms - which I can get easily.

However I would love to try daphnia as they aren't as messy, thanks :smile:

philbaker76

Reaction score
I always get my daphnia from my parents pond (although there is a risk of introducing something nasty, I've not had a problem as of yet). However, you can get live daphnia from most aquatic shops.

I try and get daphnia in my hatching tubs as soon as the spawn is laid; gives them time to culture.

Good luck with your hatchlings. :)

Jake

Reaction score
Daphnia live in almost any semi-permanent or permanent body of water around here. I can take a handful of grass clippings and place it in a bucket of water and get a good Daphnia population within a few weeks. Check ponds around your house. Though, finely chopped blackworms would probably get your babies to grow a bit faster than Daphnia. Axolotl larvae can easily handle daily or even twice daily water changes.

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
Greetings Stef, check out Ebay. You can get packets of brine shrimp eggs for reasonably cheap. 1 gram goes a long way lol and they're not too hard to hatch :rolleyes:

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Stef,

For some reason it seems to be difficult to find Daphina for purchase in Australia. You might need to go with brine shrimp, as Sheryl suggests. The trouble I foresee with chopped blackworm is that hatchlings usually only feed on live food - they hunt by chasing movement, not by smell (or sight) - so that you might have a high to very high death rate early on due to starvation.

On a side note - brine shrimp are fun to raise! So much so that they have been marketed as a toy called "Sea Monkeys" for years. :rolleyes:

You've probably seen this already but just in case, here is the CC article on microfoods for larvae:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/microfoods.shtml

Good luck!

-Eva

Nathan050793

Reaction score
The trouble I foresee with chopped blackworm is that hatchlings usually only feed on live food - they hunt by chasing movement, not by smell (or sight) - so that you might have a high to very high death rate early on due to starvation.

I just thought I'd clear this up and say that the reason blackworms are so great is, because even when chopped into tiny pieces, they still squirm. Thus it does stimulate feeding through movement.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I just thought I'd clear this up and say that the reason blackworms are so great is, because even when chopped into tiny pieces, they still squirm. Thus it does stimulate feeding through movement.

Hi Nathan!

Wow, I didn't know that - very interesting indeed, in a kind of totally disgusting way. :lol:

Thanks - and again, good luck to you, Stef!

-Eva

coichards

Reaction score
Brine Shrimp are a pet by itself. Sea monkeys are geneticly altered brine shrimp (?), they grow bigger and you are forced to by their water purifier and magic food. ect or they say they will all die.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1