Hurt Hatchling

Sara88

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Sparrowmayhem
I've just checked on my little hatchlings (nearly a week old) and noticed one of them looks like its been hurt. Possibly got caught by the airstone and panicked and hurt itself that way... not sure.
The back end of it isn't looking too good but is still attached, he isn't moving around but is alive.

I've seperated it from the others and is in its own little container.
Should I put the little fella in the fridge? Would that help?
Any other tips?

Will it be able to recover from this?
Just don't want it to suffer :sad:

(Have attached a picture but it isn't too clear, but you can see what I mean about the tail)

Hatchling.jpg

A lot of hatchlings are lost when rearing, so don't expect them all to pull throught :(
Looks like a bent tail, can't see much from the photo. I suppose it depends how far up the tail has been bent (if it's affecting his digestive system or not) he's probably going to have trouble competeing for food so it's good that you seperated him from the others.

I'm not sure about putting hatchlings in the fridge, and by that I mean I have no knowledge of whether it is okay or not. What are you feeding them at the moment?

Hey there, thanks for replying!

They are on brine shrimp & supplemented with microworms.

How would I know if its effected its digestive tract? Or is there a way of knowing?
I guess it'll be a wait and see type of thing

I'm not sure myself, common sense told me that could be a problem but I'm not sure how you actually check for it. I asked about the food because I wondered if it was easy for the hatchling to 'catch' when he has a wonky tail. Since he's not moving it would've been difficult for him to catch food such as daphnia.

I've noticed it's just moved a little so I'll just make sure there's plenty of food near for it and hope for the best!

I would just put him on his own and give him special attention, extra food. Some of them just cant survive I am afraid.
:rolleyes:

Some do just die I'm affraid. Usually the weaker ones, or any showing signs of stress (like this one).

Quarantine is a good idea, but keep a close eye of the rest of your hatchlings - just-in-case it's the start of something more serious.

Oh... my friend had this occur with some of her larvae. She called it 'bent tail disease' and unfortunately all that had it died.... they were just weaker larvae I guess :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back