are CFBN active?

napoleon

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Are they an active or rather lazy species? I dont expect them to swimm around all day, but also wouldnt like them to be hidden all day to I cant see him.

Mine seem to be active mostly at night. How long have you had them?

I've had my CFBN for about 6 weeks now, and I have to say they're pretty darn inactive. Mine will move to a spot and stay there all day, virtually motionless. Then in the morning, he's in a new spot. I am assuming he's more active at night, but I don't know. The few times I've been up in the night and looked at him, he was sitting still, just staring at me. :)

Someone here said that if your newt was from a pet store (mine was), they are most likely wild caught, and will hide more than one used to captivity.

Angela

I dont have one yet, I am trying to decide whether to buy one or not. I already have african dwarf frogs (they would be in another aquarium) and they are already inactive (except at night).
Yes, they would be from a pet shop...
This is not good news:(

If you want one that is active I suggest another type.But I only have the one type so Im not sure what else is out there:confused:Good luck!

Well, so far in my limited experience, FBT (fire belly toads - Bombina orientalis) are a much more active animal. I got two the other day, and they are a hoot to watch.

My daughter caught a fly, we put it in the tank, and they had it stalked and eaten within 2 minutes.

I am still hoping my newt will realize he doesn't need to hide all day... he's still pretty new here.

Angela

My danube crested newts are very active!!! Especially during the day. They will rest on thier floating island and floating plants at night and are active all day.

Newts in general aren't that active.

I've actually had the opposite experience: My newts (Eastern newts, and Japanese fire-bellies) are extremely active, and constantly beg for food. They're incredibly entertaining.

Mine are kind of active, but compared to other animals newts are just not very active. I guess there may be different factors that affect it, such as species, temperature, water chemistry, etc.

i think it depends on the newt. i have one very active cynops orientalis and 2 that are active some days and not so much others

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back