Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

About to get my first newt

rsmdrummer

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm about to purchase my first newt. Just wondering if you have any general ideas I should know.

I'm using this week to find out as much as I can, before I purchase the newt.

Thanks!

T

tylototriton

Species would be great, but i'll mention a few basics that hold true for *most* species.

~10gal per specimen or two. The more water, the less you need to change it or worry about ammonia and nitrate build up. Also, space is important to keep animals happy and healthy.

A haulout; that is, something that allows the newt to get out of the water. Depending on the species the size and setup will change, but most newts like to get out of the water sometimes.

Aquarium decorations: I prefer live and or plastic plants, driftwood, and rocks, but really anything will work as long as it is aquarium safe. The newts need someplace to hide.

Filter: I like filters, some people don't. For most tanks a small charcoal filter attached to an airpump works just fine.

Depending on the species you will need to take into account food and water temperature. Some species will accept larger foods like pinhead crickets, small insects, etc; smaller species will probably need blood worms, black worms, etc; all of which can be purchased at a local pet or fish store.

Once you find the species or have a description you should post it so we can direct you towards more detailed and specific information.

Best of Luck,
Alex

rsmdrummer

Reaction score
Hey Alex,

Thanks so much for your response.

As for the type of newt, I'm completely clueless on this as well.

What types are good? And Where should I purchase it at?

Basically I've always wanted a newt since I was a little boy, because my good friend Collin had one and I was always jealous. This is basically my new found freedom...haha

Thanks for the help,
Matt

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!